Extract Kit came with more hops than recipe calls for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish826

Reaction score
I'm about to brew up my second extract kit. It's a Belgian Tripel I bought from Midwest Supplies. The recipe calls for 1/2 oz of Willamette aroma hops to be addded for the last 2 mins. They sent me 1 oz. I guess my question would be if I can add the whole oz or just discard the extra 1/2 oz? Seems like a waste. Also, will the Belgian candy sugar just dissolve in the boil? or should I put it in a nylon bag? Do I put the orange peel in the bag as well, or can I just dump them right in the wort? I guess I had more than 1 question. Lol. MAybe I bit off more than I'm ready for on this kit, but I love me them Belgians. Thanks for any help.

Never throw away hops! They can be closed up and kept in the freezer for a long time. If you have a food saver, they can be kept even longer- like years!

The sugar will dissolve in the boil, so you just add it to the boil. You can toss the orange peel in the boil, or use a bag, whatever your preference is. It doesn't matter much at all.

Do a lot of recipes call for 1/2 oz of hops? If not I guess I can just keep ordering this kit and just stockpile them.

Do a lot of recipes call for 1/2 oz of hops? If not I guess I can just keep ordering this kit and just stockpile them.

Depends on the recipe, but yeah, it's not too rare. Definitely hold on to them; you'll use them eventually.

Latest posts

Back