Exploding and rupturing containers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A7X

Reaction score
I just started my first batch on October 9th, and my main problem is finding proper containers. I'm working on pretty low funding here, and had my beer in a milk jug. Such a newbie here that I didn't realize co2 would be a problem. I came home to find the milk jog expanded outwards, and leaking towards the top. I had lost 1/3rd of my beer. The rest I put in water bottles. Although two of the bottles were sealed tight, the other 3 weren't. What happened was one of the bottles started to expand like it was compressed inside. When I opened it the top blew off and half the beer foamed out. I spilled the rest because I wasn't sure about it's future drinkability.

So now I probably don't even have 70 ounces left, when I started with a gallon.

The question I have is how to deal with this. With the other bottles I open them and close them each day to let out air, but if you had the proper equipment would you use a valve to let out co2?

Also I don't see too much foaming I know it's only been a few days but I'm worried that all the spillage ruined the batch.

Here is the proper equipment you desire. It's a bucket with an air lock. The air lock lets CO2 escape and keeps oxygen out. You're extremely lucky you did this in plastic containers. Sealing up the vessel during primary fermentation is a sure way to make a bomb.

fermenter.jpg

If you're really on a tight budget, or just can't be bothered with airlocks, I've done quite a few batches where I just just used clingfilm/clear-wrap, with a couple of small pin-holes, over the top of my fermentation buckets. Lets the excess CO2 escape and keeps undesirables out.

Takes me back to my days in the joint. You gotta burp those bottles every night after lights out, yo. Make sure you have some baby powder on hand to cover up the smell in case the screws walk by. :ban:

No, really, get that thingy that BBL posted. Real brewers use paint buckets.

I'm going to get one of those buckets for my next batch, but for now I'll be letting out the co2 manually each day.

I'm on a tight budget now, but that'll be fixed eventually, I just thought everything had to be sealed tight and so that's why my water bottle all but exploded.

Is it normal not to see foaming for 3 days?

Is it normal not to see foaming for 3 days?

At least. This isn't meant to be ******-y at all, but you should read the stickies (the top of the list posts) here in the beginner's forum. Aside from my days as the lead brewer of cell block B, I've always used some sort of airlock-type vent (even a balloon with a pin-hole will do here) to allow co2 to escape during fermentation. Speaking from experience, sealed fermentation is asking for explosions.

A7X said:
I just started my first batch on October 9th, and my main problem is finding proper containers. I'm working on pretty low funding here, and had my beer in a milk jug. Such a newbie here that I didn't realize co2 would be a problem. I came home to find the milk jog expanded outwards, and leaking towards the top. I had lost 1/3rd of my beer. The rest I put in water bottles. Although two of the bottles were sealed tight, the other 3 weren't. What happened was one of the bottles started to expand like it was compressed inside. When I opened it the top blew off and half the beer foamed out. I spilled the rest because I wasn't sure about it's future drinkability.

So now I probably don't even have 70 ounces left, when I started with a gallon.

The question I have is how to deal with this. With the other bottles I open them and close them each day to let out air, but if you had the proper equipment would you use a valve to let out co2?

I actually still do small batches in a one gallon milk jug. Get a clean piece of foil and just loosely wrap around the opening, don't use the lid. The foil will prevent stuff from getting in and let the c02 escape as well.

A bung and an airlock to fit on top of your milk jug will run you about $2.

Consider doing that if you don't want to pony up $12 for a real bucket and lid with an airlock.

hey op - I've been there. brewing on low funds is a real pain, but there's no reason why it can't be done effectively. you can pick up used plastic jugs from grocery stores and delis, and airlocks are only a buck and change. it's always a shame to see beer get lost because of avoidable problems! if you need anything let me know - I'd be glad to send you an airlock if you need!

Go somewhere that goes through lots of buckets - donut shop, grocery store bakery, chinese buffet, etc - and ask for buckets. Some places won't have any, some will be happy to give them to you, and some might charge from a quarter to a buck.

To ferment in, you'll want to find 5 gallon if you can, which will limit you to 4 gallon(ish) batches. The 'ale pail' buckets are 6 gallon, but I've never been able to find those on the cheap. If the bucket isn't washed out, that means it's not been scratched up, either. $2, at most, with airlock and grommet. Heck, splurge and make yourself a bottling bucket, too.

Buckets are up there with duct tape in my book.

If you're really on a tight budget, or just can't be bothered with airlocks, I've done quite a few batches where I just just used clingfilm/clear-wrap, with a couple of small pin-holes, over the top of my fermentation buckets. Lets the excess CO2 escape and keeps undesirables out.

To expand on this, use balloons. Put a balloon on your milk jug and then take a needle or a small knife and poke just a few tiny holes in it.

I made a ghetto mead like this, by dumping all the ingredients in a 1 gallon jug of spring water, and throwing a balloon on top. As the gases come out it puffs up the balloon but as long as you made enough holes the gas should get out.

http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/fast-cheap-mead-making.htm

I just worried because it's been 5 days and there's only minimal foaming.

Back