Expiry date of my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevoster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have Wheat Beer in bottles 9 weeks, IPA in bottles 4 weeks and Stout in bottles 2 weeks. I also have a blonde beer in primary. Just wondering how long my beers will stay good in bottles? I know it isn't a problem most people have to deal with!! I work away from my home during the week so only drink my brew on weekends. What I'd like to do is build up a massive reserve of beer, stop brewing for a while and dip in when I need it. So far everything is improving with age. I was pretty careful with sterilisation and cleaning. Only problem may be with Wheat Beer as I left more than an inch of air at the top of the bottles. I also want to give people beer as gifts but don't want to give them rotten bottles! Literally a poisoned chalice.

Thanks!
Steve.

After long enough (I'm talking a year or more maybe) the flavors might fade and the beer might pick up a little stale-ness, but it shouldn't go bad. If it does, it's probably not on a predictable timeline.

If you are confident in your sanitation then your stout could last literally years. Your IPA should make it a year but you will notice that the hop flavor/aroma drop out and you'll end up with a Pale Ale instead of a hoppy IPA. The wheat beer should be drank within 6 - 8 months for maximum flavor. Hefes and wheat beers are best fairly young.

Malt focused beers with roasted grains tend to last a long time. I had an Irish Red Ale that I found a 6 pack after 2 years and it was an excellent example of a Scottish /70.

I mostly make mostly dark/very dark/absurdly dark/black beer.

5 years has not been a problem (in bottles). Longer would be fine if it hadn't all been drunk.

Just don't get so far sidetracked with life that you leave it in the carboy for 4 years before bottling - that batch was drinkable, but not very good.

Latest posts

Back