Edinburgh Ale Yeast Needed a Blowoff Tube -- why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I am using WLP028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast in an ale of my own concoction right now. Made a starter. Pitched it last night. Checked it at 7am and a little action. Checked at noon and it had engulfed my bubbler. Replaced the bubbler with a blowoff tube into some Starsan. Checked again and it appears to have blown into the blowoff tube.

This beer was approximately 1.053 OG and is fermenting at 65 degrees. I had no indication this yeast was that active. Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if maybe I mis-measured my gravity.

The McEwans yeast (WLP028, Wyeast 1728) is a monster, I'm never surprised at it's capacity to ferment. You simply have a very healthy ferment going on.:mug:

Oh yeah, there are much worse things to have happen. I was just amazed at the strength of the ferment. There should be a warning on the label!

Latest posts

Back