Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Easy hard cider ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Easy hard cider ?

Is there a easy hard cider or equivalent out there ? I would like to take some cider with cinnamon sticks and add the recommended yeast to make something for the cold months. What are you guys doing ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 365 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Look. here

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/

Several good ones.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hard cider is pretty hard to mess up. Quick and easy to brew and very easy to manipulate into something tasty. I've done it on Chico strain, Montrachet, WLP007, pretty much whatever I have a yeast cake of. I've even not washed the yeast at all, just poured the apple cider in with whatever spices I feel like, it rarely comes out unpalatable. The only time I didn't like it was when I dry hopped it.

Try this. 3.5 gallons of apple juice, one gallon of pomegranate juice. Add to fermenter of choice holding one gallon out. On the stove bring the extra gallon of apple juice almost to a boil. Juice 5 or 6 oranges into it. Add a dozen or so cinnamon sticks and a handful of cloves. Keep this at a simmer for a while. (Heck, even dump the orange peel in if you'd like). Keep the temp above 175ish for at least 10 minutes, 20-30 is probably best. Let it cool down to room temp then strain into your fermenter. I did something similar to this last year on Montrachet and it was a big hit at Christmas time. I think I'll do it again soon, but using a true Cider yeast. I think it would be great mulled as well.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The first time I made hard cider, I just made 4.5 gallons of apple juice from WalMart concentrate and dumped in some Nottingham yeast, and that turned out great. These days, I just make my hard ciders with some quality apple juice (Whitehouse brand), and it is even better.

The tricky part of hard cider is keeping it sweet if you bottle and want sweet hard cider. The technique to backsweeten in a keg is incredibly simple, but the technique to backsweeten in a bottle is an inconsistent PITA at best.

Anyway, that's what you are dealing with. If you want to make a dry, English-style cider, hard cider making is just like brewing beer without the brewing part.

If you want more details, I'd be happy to walk you throught the steps, just PM me and let me know what kind of cider you are trying to make.

Good luck!

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

We've almost stopped attempting to back sweeten and just offer high concentrate apple juice to mix. Really took a lot of hassle out of the equation.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2533 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 5710

My first cider was pretty simple. 5 gallons of apple cider fresh from the orchard, a pound of brown sugar and champagne yeast. Added a pound of lactose at bottling to keep it from being too dry. Everyone who has tried it so far is in love with it.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Quick Reply