Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldback52

Reaction score
I am ready to dry hop my first batch and have. A question should I put the hops and a bag with a weight or is that not worth it. Also do I stir it at all??

What kind of hops, pellet or leaf? I would not stir, don't want to risk aeration.

I prefer hop sacks for pellets,steeping bags for raw (whole leaf) hops due to their increased volume at the same weight as pellets. Helps keep things cleaner while dry hopping,not to mention,in the boil as well. Some add sanitized marbles to make the sack sink into the beer.

I don't usually use bags for dryhopping, but if I do I don't weigh them down. The beer permeates the hops just fine, so you don't have to worry about it. Be careful not to oxidize the beer, no matter which way you do it, so do not stir or splash when you add the dryhops.

I don't usually use bags for dryhopping, but if I do I don't weigh them down. The beer permeates the hops just fine, so you don't have to worry about it. Be careful not to oxidize the beer, no matter which way you do it, so do not stir or splash when you add the dryhops.

+1 to this. I just throw 'em in whether it's pellets or whole leaf. The beer seems to know what to do from there. Cheers.

I don't weigh them down either. I don't like the though of getting the hops so close to the yeast cake where the lupulins may coat the yeasts at the bottom before permiating into the beer. That's my theory anyway.
Ever watch what happens when you put the tea bags in sun tea on a hot day? The tea swirls down into the water while floating on top. Seems to me hops floating on beer would be no different. It's all about convection.

I just dryhopped for the first time last weekend. What I read said to rack on top of the hops so I dumped my pellets in with no bags and racked. Now I've got a nice thick sludge of hops on top of my beer. Is this right? Should the hops maintain pellet form or fall apart?

I'm also noticing alot of particles moving around in the beer...some going up and some going down. Is this due to yeast action our some other force of beer that I am not aware of? I plan to dryhop for two weeks, so will all these particles fall out before I bottle next weekend?

Subscribed. I just racked on top of my pellets to. Only been a few hours so no sludge or anything yet. But ive heard its fine to do so

MTate37 said:
I'm also noticing alot of particles moving around in the beer...some going up and some going down. Is this due to yeast action our some other force of beer that I am not aware of? I plan to dryhop for two weeks, so will all these particles fall out before I bottle next weekend?

that's normal, they are just riding the co2 bubbles the yeast are producing... Once the beer is fermented completely there'll be less of that (my guess is your yeast isn't a very high flocculating strain, i always see more of that for longer). A cold crash will help that a ton too.

I just dryhopped for the first time last weekend. What I read said to rack on top of the hops so I dumped my pellets in with no bags and racked. Now I've got a nice thick sludge of hops on top of my beer. Is this right? Should the hops maintain pellet form or fall apart?

They will definitely fall apart. Worst case, when you rack to your bottling bucket, place a nylon mesh bag or muslin bag over the racking cane to keep that out.

I wouldn't recommend dry-hopping for much longer than a week. I think you'll start to get a grassy taste the longer the hops sit in there.

I have Dry Hopped many batches as of late and I love the extra taste it provides to the brew. I literally just crack open the bucket or carboy and just sprinkle them in disturbing the brew as little as possible. Then when i go to bottle, i just cut off a piece of a steeping grains bag and put it over the siphon cane and leave all the bits behind. Dry Hopping is a great way to impart some seriously good flavor into your beer.

Back