Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Double Boil Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
MickeyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Double Boil Ale?

So I just thought up something. Don't know if anyone has ever tried this or if there is even a good reason for trying it.

Brew a beer and let it ferment out. After fermentation, rack it off the yeast into the brewpot. Start another boil and throw some DME/LME/whatever you want into the pot. Depending on how much you boil off you could even do another small mash. Yes, you will boil off the ethanol and whatever else is volatile enough. Once the boil is done, throw the beer back into the fermenter. It is somewhat similar to a decotion mash. However, if some of the flavors the yeast produce stick around or are altered in a positive way by the second boil, it could be a very unique beer.

Thoughts or comments?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

try it and fill us in on the result

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 10-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You're CRAZY!

Therefore, I say go for it and see what it does.

You could even pitch a different yeast the second time around to make it interesting.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:56 AM   #4
MickeyD
Recipes 

I don't have any plans to make a beer like this anytime soon. There are so many crazy things you could do with this. My idea is to eventually make a beer like this, bottle or keg a portion of it and boil the remainder. That way there would be a baseline for flavor comparison. But thats when recipe formulation for the second boil will get interesting....gotta let this idea ferment for a while before trying this out.

Cheers

Quick Reply