Does an extra quart of beer have any use other than bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up with an extra quart plus of finished/fermented beer today when I did my transfer to the keg. I poured this extra beer into sanized mason jar and filled this to the brim and then sealed the jar.

Is there anything I can use this extra quart for? It seemed like a hassle to try to bottle it. Didn't know if this could be used for a future yeast starter since it is not the same as freshly boilled wort. I was also thinking of just placing this back in the keg a month from now once the beer level has gone down but I am not sure to know if I avoided oxidation for this extra quart.

Currently I am cold crashing the beer in the keg and will do the final transfer in a week or two once it has cleared up.

Is the wort hopped? If it isn't, starter away. If you feel that you need to boil it again, go ahead. Personally, i just bring it up to room temp, flame the lip, and go from there.

No good for a starter since all the yeast food is gone. I suppose you could fill the dog's bowl for entertainment?

Beer makes great slug bait too.

I usually just drink the leftovers flat myself, but two pints worth is quite a lot...

Uh... you cant really use it for a starter because its already been fermented. Drink it, cook with it, bottle it, or toss it. I personally wouldn't put it in the keg later, but that's just me.

make carne asda!

to the beer add
lemon, lime and orange juice( 1 will do, all three are better)
chili powder
Jalapeño
onion poweder
garlic powder
salt
cilantro

Marinate a thin cut of your favorite beef (or chicken but beef is better)

Put out on the grill and enjoy!

serve with tortilla and fresh salsa, sides of beans and rice and drink with your home brew!

dang I'm hungry now!

If you think this will be a regular occurrence keep a couple of 2 liter soda bottles around. Then either make one of those force carb caps or carb it with priming sugar.

Dark beer? Cook some red meat with it. Light hoppy beer? Marinade some chicken.

I almost always defrost my Trader Joes frozen chicken strips in an IPA, sprinkle some lavender salt (from a semi-local vendor) on them right before cooking, and then throw 'em over some mesquite coals. Yummmmm!

Ground beef in my kitchen, be it burgers, tacos, or spaghetti, pretty much always starts off with some Guinness Extra Stout (or other good roasty stout) reduction.

make carne asda!

to the beer add
lemon, lime and orange juice( 1 will do, all three are better)
chili powder
Jalapeño
onion poweder
garlic powder
salt
cilantro

Marinate a thin cut of your favorite beef (or chicken but beef is better)

Put out on the grill and enjoy!

serve with tortilla and fresh salsa, sides of beans and rice and drink with your home brew!

dang I'm hungry now!

Thanks for the recipe. i really like this idea. It is an amber ale that I kegged. I couldn't bottle because I don't have any caps handy but I will be sure to get some soon again when I order supplies. No local HBS for many many miles near me so bottling today was not an option. I'll also look for some flip top bottles.

I'v bottled hundreds of beers in saved plastic soda bottles. Any bottle designed for carbonated drinks will work well for beer. Just keep the clear bottles out of the UV light. Even without added priming sugar that mason jar could build up co2 pressure and break.

Dog's can't metabolize alcohol - It's pretty bad for them (even though they're happy to drink it). Please don't give beer to your dog.

Try cooking with it.

For any stout add it to beef stew! Replace half of the beef broth with stout, and simmer away. This would also work for pot roast too. Make your own BBQ sauce. Start with beer add tomato paste, vinegar, sugar and spices. Simmer several hours and store in a sanitized mason jar. Make beer bread. There are kits/pre -mixed boxes that you just open up, add a beer and bake. Simmer up some brats, or beer cheese soup. That's about all I can think of this late at night.

I watched an episode of diners,drive ins,& dives with Guy Fiery where they used a few bottles of Guinness stout to bake some bbq'd pork shoulders in for pulled pork sandwiches. Sauce looked great.

Amber Ale may be too light for it, but you need leftovers from earlier batches to make Lambic Ales. I forget which styles they recommend to use, but you could try it.

Go get some Brats and boil them in the beer, saute some onions and throw them brats on the grill. MMMM mmmmm

Or make a mop sauce out of it for ribs or big chunks of meat. Pour the mop sauce mix in a bread pan,& keep it off-set from the coals,& it'll thicken as you go. That's good,rich flavor.
Just mix that beer with Worcestershire sauce,onion/garlic powder,a lil salt,fresh cracked pepper,some red pepper. Then mix in some brown sugar,& a touch of molasses. That'll drive'em crazy. I especially like this one on chuck roast in the bbq pit with shell bark Hickory bark. Serve with roasted corn,& prepared horse radish on the side.

Back