Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do I need a wort chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
EddieWess
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do I need a wort chiller?

I live in Colorado, at about 8,700 feet where it is usually about 10 degrees cooler than say Denver. Right now I just stick the covered wort in the carboy outside and it cools pretty quick. When summer comes, will I neeed a a wort chiller? The summer nights are cool but I wouldn't call it cold. I am on a well so running water for 15 + minutes is not good well usage (CO is a very dry climate). Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

get a tub of ice water and circulate that through your wort chiller, youll need to chill your wort down to pitching temps as fast as possible.

ill keep my money, guns, freedom, and religion......you can keep the change.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3497 Times on 3388 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, an immersion chiller is very handy and helpful. If you're worried about water usage, search for a thread I think EdWort did on recirculating ice baths. Minimum of water used. Or you could get a big 5 bushel drum or something similar and fill it with ice to cool your wort. Not as effective as an IC but works nonetheless.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You need a wort chiller. For one, tranfering hot wort to a glass (if it is glass) carboy can cause the carboy to crack (not good, or safe). second, In the summer, it will not chill fast enough without some help. The well water thing is a problem, you could freeze bottles of water and then sanitize the outside and put them in the wort. Alternatively you could save yourself the headache and just buy a good immersion chiller. Im sure you can find somewhere else to conserve water. If water conservation is more important than the quality of your beer then you probably should buy comercial beer, because brewing is very water intensive. (btw, this is a friendly suggestion, not a "bit your head off" comment)

Old 02-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Unless you are doing full boils, you really don't need a wort chiller. Otherwise, yes. It gets really dry here in the summer, so I just run the water out to my garden. I guess if you have a fairly shallow well, you could make a French drain & let it percolate back down.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It really depends on your boil volume. I have been doing partial boils (2 or 3 gallons) for the past year and I have been just doing cold water baths to cool down my wort. I can get down to 80 degrees in 10 to 15 minutes A wort chiller hasn't been necessary. If running your water is an issue, just try a cold water bath and add ice every 5 or 10 minutes. I freeze a bunch of water in old water bottles and just switch them out. As they cool and thaw, I just grab those everyday to drink so I don't waste water.

I plan to start doing full boils this summer so I am currently looking for a wort chiller. I don't think I could get the wort chilled enough in a short time with 5 to 6 gallon boil.

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
EddieWess
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
You need a wort chiller. For one, tranfering hot wort to a glass (if it is glass) carboy can cause the carboy to crack (not good, or safe). second, In the summer, it will not chill fast enough without some help. The well water thing is a problem, you could freeze bottles of water and then sanitize the outside and put them in the wort. Alternatively you could save yourself the headache and just buy a good immersion chiller. Im sure you can find somewhere else to conserve water. If water conservation is more important than the quality of your beer then you probably should buy comercial beer, because brewing is very water intensive. (btw, this is a friendly suggestion, not a "bit your head off" comment)
And taken as such. I am just worried about running the well dry. It will come back but it takes time.

Looking at some of the other posts I am probably not that bad off. #1 I do partial boils so I think one thing I can do is get the water that I put in the fermenting bucket as cold as I can, then try an ice bath.

So, what is too long in waiting for the wort to cool?

Thanks all.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I Just bought myself one for Christmas...I gotta say that it does take time off from your brew days...even when doing 2.5 gallon stovetop boils there's something nice about having it cool in 10 minutes as opposed to an hour in an ice bath...

And there is the thing about getting a good cold break for clarity...

It's not necessary, I brewed for a long time without one...BUT it sure is convenient.

And like everyone else said, when you get to larger boils it will greatly reduce the time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you want the ghetto solution, just fill 3-4 cleaned 2 liter soda with water. Freeze 'em. When your boil has finished, put a soda bottle in your no-rinse sanitizer bucket briefly, then drop in right into your pot. I'd put in 2 at a time. Once they thaw out & warm up, swap out the next 2. When you're done, rinse them off & put 'em back in your freezer & you're good to go next time. Really minimal water usage this way.

Now, you will get much better cooling with a wort chiller, but this will work as a no cost, quick & dirty substitute.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you NEED one? for partial boils, I suppose not. but once you get one, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply