Is This A Decent Secondary Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So I picked up this piece of surplus equipment from a local food service operation here in town... it's a 5 gallon stainless steel "thermos" (not sure what else to call it). I think it was used to transport soup way back in the day.

It's got insulated walls and has a rubber seal on top for an air-tight closure (not seen in the pic because it's old and I'm in the process of reconditioning it). It also has an air valve on the lid that I had planned on modding to accept a bubbler.

Would this make for a good secondary fermenter? I was wanting to use my carboy for primary (so I can observe the action... yes, my simple mind is easily entertained) and rack to this for secondary. My concern is the insulated walls. I have a brew-belt but don't know if it'll work to maintain the temp of the wort given the insulated walls.

Would love to hear your input! I didn't pay much for it (few bucks) so if it's no good, it's not a big deal. I'll just use a plastic bucket for secondary.

Thanks for the info!

70800926.jpg

61398029.jpg

you guys are right... it is bigger than 5 gal. filled it... it's 10 gallon!! oops. that's a bumber. hopefully you're right Ru. there might be bigger and better things in the future for this thing - once i can figure out what those things are!! LOL

It will work for a secondary.

But, I keep looking at it and have this nagging feeling there is a better use for it that isn't immediatly obvious.

Mash tun, it's insulated, holds 10g and is stainless. Like a suped up version of the igloo cooler mash tuns.

Mash tun, it's insulated, holds 10g and is stainless. Like a suped up version of the igloo cooler mash tuns.

Exactly what I was thinking!!! Awesome MLT. What is it insulated with and is the bottom insulated? You might even be able to direct fire it...absolutely perfect for a HERMS system though

Green with jealousy :D (though I DID find a $400 wine fridge for $12 this week, so a light green maybe!)

you guys are right... it is bigger than 5 gal. filled it... it's 10 gallon!! oops. that's a bumber. hopefully you're right Ru. there might be bigger and better things in the future for this thing - once i can figure out what those things are!! LOL

Obviously useless - send it to me, I'll uh, find something to do with it, uh, yeah ....

Excellent find - congrats!:rockin:

okay... total newb here. mash tun... what's a mash tun???

- searches for mash tun -

LOL

okay... total newb here. mash tun... what's a mash tun???

- searches for mash tun -

LOL

If your trajectory in this, er, hobby :D, is anything like most of ours then you will be going all grain sooner rather than later. That said you will quite possibly have the COOLEST MLT (mash/ lauter tun) any noob could wet dream of. Seriously, beer p0rn my friend!!!

Welcome to your new obsession :mug:

Back