New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Couple of mistakes on my first brew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
brooks56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Couple of mistakes on my first brew

I was reading some of the threads on here and I ran into a couple of mistakes that I made.

My stove isn't the strongest out there by any means so I ended up using a lid for the boil. I used a kit and it didn't say I couldn't use a lid. Why is this a bad thing?

Second. I didn't even think about it, but since I was doing a partial boil, the directions said to add cool water to the fermenter. I ended up adding the extra water to the wort while it was still hot, almost boiling. It's been a couple of days and it seemed to me that it was/is fermenting really well. Should I expect a bad beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
EineProsit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 27

It'll be fine. Don't worry .

Old 12-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Relax don't worry have a homebrew is a motto that's often used. The basic idea is the more you worry the more likely you are to screw something else up.

You should be fine. I actually don't know if there's something bad that can come from dumping the cold water into the hot water (someone more in the know can correct me) I always assumed it was done that way to make it easier to carry the kettle around, since it needs to both be cooled and dumped.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
brooks56
Recipes 

I'm not too worried about it. I know it's going to be a learning experience. My concern is that the water was filtered but it was not boiled which means it wasn't sanitized. That was my concern more so than the temp difference.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #5
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Look up "DMS". I forget exactly what it stands for but I know it can cause off flavors and is released in the steam during the boil. No harm in the lid getting it to boil, but take it off next time when you get there. Most off flavors are reduced or eliminated by aging, so if you don't like the flavor of the first bottle, just wait a few more weeks before you try another. You'll be amazed how much aging can improve a beer you thought wasn't up to par.

As for the water, no biggie. You just got a little extra exercise! Next time put the chilled water in your carboy and aerate the heck out of it. I's a lot easier to aerate 2 gallons of water than 5 gallons of wort. Did you use a chiller? How's the ferment going?

Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo
Relax don't worry have a homebrew is a motto that's often used. The basic idea is the more you worry the more likely you are to screw something else up.

You should be fine. I actually don't know if there's something bad that can come from dumping the cold water into the hot water (someone more in the know can correct me) I always assumed it was done that way to make it easier to carry the kettle around, since it needs to both be cooled and dumped.
There isn't anything wrong with using tap water to cool the wort. In fact, it's a popular method for those who don't have wort chillers. As for it not being boiled, it shouldn't matter. Municipal water supplies don't have much in the way of bacteria to worry about. I have never boiled mine, and never had a problem.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
Look up "DMS". I forget exactly what it stands for but I know it can cause off flavors and is released in the steam during the boil. No harm in the lid getting it to boil, but take it off next time when you get there. Most off flavors are reduced or eliminated by aging, so if you don't like the flavor of the first bottle, just wait a few more weeks before you try another. You'll be amazed how much aging can improve a beer you thought wasn't up to par.

As for the water, no biggie. You just got a little extra exercise! Next time put the chilled water in your carboy and aerate the heck out of it. I's a lot easier to aerate 2 gallons of water than 5 gallons of wort. Did you use a chiller? How's the ferment going?
I could be wrong again, but you may even be able to avoid DMS from not having it boil by proper cold break. Could be wrong, maybe it just limits the effects.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks56 View Post
I'm not too worried about it. I know it's going to be a learning experience. My concern is that the water was filtered but it was not boiled which means it wasn't sanitized. That was my concern more so than the temp difference.
Honestly it shouldn't be an issue, I haven't had one happen yet, cities treat the water so that it's safe to drink and I can't imagine it being a real issue.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #9
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Unless you got the water out of the toilet or a stagnant pond, it's probably clean enough. If it was clean enough for you to drink than it will most likely be fine.

As for the lid, it will probably be fine but I would leave it off next time. I'm pretty sure you don't really have to worry about DMS with extract because it has already been boiled during it's processing. I would still do it next time though just to be sure.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:43 AM   #10
brooks56
Recipes 

I kept a sanitized thermometer in the pot the entire time during the boil. Which in itself let a lot of the steam out while giving the stove a little bit of a boost. I also stirred the pot every ten minutes or so. Would this help with the DMS? I've already thought about using my neighbors propane burner for the next batch.

Quick Reply