color in the carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed two beers this weekend - a Marzen and BierMuncher's Blonde. The thing is that the Blonde looks darker than the Marzen - both are a reddish amber color. My question is - how much can the color change once it's in the carboy?

BTW I did boil the Blond fairly aggressively for an hour with my new propane burner, but it was a full boil and IMO not that aggressive. I boiled from 7down to about 5 1/2 gallons in an hour, which is a pretty good rate.

Don't judge the color of the beer until it flows through the siphon hose from the fermenter into the bottling bucket. During fermentation, you have yeast, proteins, hops particles, etc swirling around. I've had a Kolsch that looked like a dark brown ale in the fermenter during fermentation come out a crystal clear straw color.

Just wait and watch the color for 2 weeks. Some times it changes a great deal. Nothing to be concerned about

I wasn't too worried, but thanks for the reply. These were my first two PMs and my first two full boils, so I have high hopes.

FWIW the color is already lighter on the Blonde. There are incredible currents in the wort of yeast particles swirling around. It's really cool.

Back