Looking to do my first 5 gallon extract
Previously was using a Mr Beer setup
A few cleaning and hop related questions
1) Picked up some PBW and diluted in hot water to soak out a brew kettle which had some staining at the bottom. Can I clean everything with PBW i.e my tubing, spigot, measuring jug, funnel, wire brushes, thermometer
2) Does PBW require active rubbing and cleaning or can I just leave it to soak ?
3) I've left the bucket overnight of PBW solution, can I reuse it in another bucket or is the effectiveness lost ?
4) Hot water is preferred for PBW, so when it cools, should I top it off again with hot water
5) I want to use Starsan to sanitize my pot and all my equipment afterwards. I'll dump out the PBW water and apply Starsan, but similar question, does Starsan require some activity or can I just leave it to soak ? Still effective overnight or is this really too long ?
1) Looking to make a Bavarian Hefeweizen extract. Bought 6 lb Bavarian DME with 1oz Northern Brewer hops and some Liquid hef yeast. Recipe calls for 0.5 oz. I was told to boil for an hour and 15 min into the boil add the hops and I can just leave the DME until 5 min at the end. Does that mean that DME doesn't really benefit from a boil and as long as I avoid clumping I'm good
2) Does the hop need to be in a hop bag ? Does it need to be strained and removed before pouring into the fermenting bucket or should I leave it for the duration of the fermenting period, as effect of the hops is pretty much done ?
I'm making a hef so I'm not sure
Secondary fermentation and bottling questions
1) I was going to avoid a second fermentation for the Hef and just bottle it. However do I have to siphon to another bottling bucket i.e I cannot just add the sugar solution to the main fermenter ?
2) With Mr Beer, after fermentation I can add sugar directly to the bottle and use the spigot to pour in the wort . Should I avoid that practice i.e it is best to have a bottling bucket with diluted sugar and siphon from there ?
3) If I have a spigot on the bottling bucket should I really attach tubing and use a bottling wand as opposed to just turning on the spigot directly to be bottle or won't it make any difference ?