Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Chlorine in water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
Patton191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chlorine in water?

"After filtration, one part of fluoride, chlorine, and phosphate per million parts of water is added into the water. MLGW is required to add fluoride and chlorine in order to prevent tooth decay and kill any bacteria that might exist in the water."

Just read this about Memphis water, and I am wondering if that is so minute that I can't taste it, because I have already made one brew with topped off water at about 2 1/2 gallons and I cannot taste the bandaid taste or anything. Should I still boil all my water now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use half a campden tablet to treat 10 gallons of water, stir it up well and let it sit while I set up everything else for brew day then I start heating my strike water. That takes care of the chlorine for a 5 gallon all grain batch.

I have found chloramine levels in my water to be highly variable. When there is a new subdivision coming online nearby, or a heavy rain causes turbidity in the lake (our water source is a small man-made lake), they add more chloramine to the water to kill off the extra pathogens; before I started treating everything I had batches that were perfect, while others were almost undrinkable with band-aid flavor. Campden tablets are cheap insurance, and they are easy to use, so I would recommend always using them to treat any water which contacts wort or grain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply