Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carboy Beer Level Dropping?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
TheIrishStout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carboy Beer Level Dropping?

Hi,

Call me crazy ( please don't ) but I swear the level of my beer in my glass carboy is dropping everyday. Also, there are sticky trails/runs running down the outside of the craboy. I haven't had an issue with foam coming out the air lock and my airlock and plug are air tight. Is there something else that can be causing this (perceived) drop in beer volume?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Maybe your kids are sampling??? That's really weird man.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
erock2112
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are the trails coming from the top? If they aren't, maybe your carboy has a crack small enough not to notice but big enough to leak. If that's the case, I would carefully drain it and never, EVER use it again, in case of it shattering.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

+1 to what both of the previous posters said. There's either a leak or some sampling going on.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 10-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You've heard of the "Angel's Share" right?

Quote:
"Angels' share" is a term for the portion (share) of a wine or distilled spirit's volume that is lost to evaporation during aging in oak barrels.
It's clear that you have something similar happening, only in homebrewing we don't have angels, we sadly have "Evil Beer Gnomes" and they are mean bastards.

And ugly too....

You really need to cultivate some beer fairies to protect your stuff. You do that by leave a bottle capful of wort for them, as tribute. (They like sweet stuff.) You do that and they will keep the beergnomes at bay.

I'm lucky, mine are hot....

Seriously, something's swiping your stash, man.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 7

We had a similar problem, with our whisky bottles. The level kept dropping, especially on weekends. We started marking the bottles, and the level stopped dropping. But the whisky started getting weaker instead. Weird.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
TheIrishStout
Recipes 

Haha Beer Gnomes eh? Well, I live alone, have no pets,no kids, no one has been over and my GF knows better. I didn't notice any cracks but like you said they could be hairline/ not noticeable. Yes, The streaks are coming from the top down to the bottom. Could an increase in CO2 pressure forces some foam out through the cap seal or even where the airlock fits into the plug? Ive had a pesky fruit fly crawling around my airlock and plug so I'm thinking if he cant find a way in, it should be sealed pretty good.

Is there a possibility or the glass sweating during temperature changes (fluxes anywhere from 70 to 76deg)? There seems to be some condensation on the inside of the carboy at the top. Then again the level drop could just be the foam layer at the top dissipating.I'll mark it when I get home and see what happens.

Last edited by TheIrishStout; 10-13-2010 at 02:13 PM.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishStout View Post
Haha Beer Gnomes eh? Well, I live alone, have no pets,no kids, no one has been over and my GF knows better. I didn't notice any cracks but like you said they could be hairline/ not noticeable. Yes, The streaks are coming from the top down to the bottom. Could an increase in CO2 pressure forces some foam out through the cap seal or even where the airlock fits into the plug? Ive had a pesky fruit fly crawling around my airlock and plug so I'm thinking if he cant find a way in, it should be sealed pretty good.

Is there a possibility or the glass sweating during temperature changes (fluxes anywhere from 70 to 76deg)? There seems to be some condensation on the inside of the carboy at the top. Then again the level drop could just be the foam layer at the top dissipating.I'll mark it when I get home and see what happens.
With those kinds of temp fluctuations, I believe your beer could be in trouble taste-wise.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You've heard of the "Angel's Share" right?

And ugly too....

Revvy, it's really not nice to post pictures of me without asking.

Quick Reply