Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kong

Reaction score
It's been five days since bottling my beer. I just tried a bottle and it was pretty flat. The directions say to wait three weeks so I realize I was drinking the beer prematurely. My question is should the beer increase it's carbonation over the next month in the bottles?

The carbonation will increase over the next few weeks as long as the yeast is active. Make sure the bottles are around 70 degrees or more. If they're not around that temperature, the yeast won't be active and you won't get any carbonation, no matter how long you wait.

Woops. I see my problem. I stuck the beer in the fridge right after bottling. Is it possible at this point to get the yeast active again?

yah the yeast just goes to sleep when its cold, get it at room temperature at it will be fine in a few weeks. Remember as Big Kahuna says don't be a beer pedophile!!!

Gently roll the bottles a bit to rouse the yeast back up and get them back up to room temperature for 3 weeks, then you should be able to expect good complete carbonation.

You will get carbonation at 65 but it will take a lot longer. Since I moved my new brews into a special room I created at 70 things carb up nice. Lower then 70 and it will just take longer.

I took the bottles out last night and tipped them over on their heads this afternoon to get the yeast going again (I was moderately graceful about it...but I'm sure I caused "off" flavors...and I'm sure I'll still drink all of 'em just the same:cross:) Thanks, for all the helpful advice!

Back