Can I use a Wine Cooler to chill my 22 oz bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnslater

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, we have an 18 bottle dual chamber wine cooler which I bought for my wife several years ago. She doesn't have it full, so I was wondering if I could use it to chill my 22 ounce bottles so that I always have a few on hand, ready to drink. Our fridge is full with three kids, and this would make it easy to cold age them. My only concern would be that the yeast on the bottom of the bottles might settle on the sides, although perhaps this is a non issue, as my bottled beers include a brown ale, stout and Witbier, non of which needs to be perfectly clear. The more I think about it the more I like the idea, might use more 22 ounce-rs for future batches.

Thoughts?

This is the style: http://www.air-n-water.com/product/Aw-210ED.htm

I say why not, especially for a wheat beer. I like my wheats as dirty as possible. If it's a style you want to leave the sediment in the bottle, probably not the best decision.

I have a wine cooler too...if your is like mine (wire shelves) you may be able to take them out and maybe make 2 flat shelves and have alot of room for upright bottles...I thought about doing that myself.

I have a wine cooler too...if your is like mine (wire shelves) you may be able to take them out and maybe make 2 flat shelves and have alot of room for upright bottles...I thought about doing that myself.

Thought about that, but then again my wife may see that as taking over her cooler. Putting them in there like Wine seems a little more subtle..... she has been drinking my homebrew more than wine lately though........

You'd also be surprised, but most wine coolers don't go much lower than the mid 40s, which is the low end of suggested wine temps, so if you want your beer to be in the low 30s, at optimum beer temps, you are SOL.

I found that the sediment on the bottom of my bottles was not the nice tasty unfiltered cloudiness I wanted to taste in my beer, but rather a nasty funky tasting sediment.. Not sure I'd want that all over the side of the beer I was trying to pour out.

Also, like Topher mentioned, I doubt your wife wants her white wine as cold as you want your beer.. you are taking over the "wine" cooler you bought "her".

I'd find a free fridge on Craigslist and slap it in garage.

Back