Can I mash in my 5-gallon bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switters

Reaction score
I'm doing a partial mash tomorrow with 4.75 lbs. of grain @ 1.5qt/lb using DeathBrewer's "easy partial mash" method. I've just figured out that the stainless steel pot I was planning to mash in is not big enough. I have one 5-gallon pot I will use for the sparge, but I need something else for mashing.

I do have a 5-gallon plastic bottling bucket. Is it possible to mash in this (using a grain bag)? Will the temperature hold if I wrap it up with towels or something like that? Should I start at 1.25qt/lb in case I have to add some hot water to bring the temp up?

It should get you buy for a one time pinch. You'll just want to wrap it in blankets/Sleeping bags or something like that. I'm assuming you're doing a grain bag so you can filter the grain out?
I'd preheat the bucket first to avoid temp loss just like in a cooler.

On second thought, Check teh temp rating for the bucket. Make sure it can handle the 140-160 temps. i would think so, but just be sure.

I wouldn't.

Has nothing to do with temperature though - you'd be likely to introduce nasties to your bucket and the mesh bag could scratch your bucket. I can just see getting a teeny piece of grain stuck in the valve or getting some nice scratches. Lacto infection here we come!

Buy another food grade hdpe bucket (homedepot has the clearish ones for under $8)

Do you have a cover that fits? Can you wrap a sleeping bag or blanket around it to hold in the heat?

Before we discovered modding 5 and 10 gallon coolers people used the "zap a gap" (or some such name) method of mashing (it's in papazian's book) basically it's two buckets one stuck inside the other, with a bunch of holes drilled in the top one. You mash in the top and it drains into the bottom one.

So yeah you could just mash in a bottling bucket, IF you can maintain the mash temp for the whole time.

Hmmm. Doesn't sound ideal. If I have to buy anything new, I might as well buy a 5-gallon igloo cooler. Problem is I need one pronto! They're easy to find online but I've been having a hard time finding one locally. Any ideas?

Hmmm. Doesn't sound ideal. If I have to buy anything new, I might as well buy a 5-gallon igloo cooler. Problem is I need one pronto! They're easy to find online but I've been having a hard time finding one locally. Any ideas?

I got mine at walmart....Every big box store carries them in the sporting goods department

Before we discovered modding 5 and 10 gallon coolers people used the "zap a gap" (or some such name) method of mashing (it's in papazian's book) basically it's two buckets one stuck inside the other, with a bunch of holes drilled in the top one. You mash in the top and it drains into the bottom one.

I did this for 2 years. If you need a quick, cheap and easy mash tun, this might be the way to go. Then you can build a cooler when you have time.

Do you have a regular cooler you can mash in? This is what I used with a Zapap sparge set up before I modded it into an MLT. Back then I was scooping the mash out and into the Zapap with a pitcher.

Do you have Anything made of styrofoam? If you could find one of those Omaha steaks shipping containers, you'd be golden!

Do you have a regular cooler you can mash in? This is what I used with a Zapap sparge set up before I modded it into an MLT. Back then I was scooping the mash out and into the Zapap with a pitcher.

Do you have Anything made of styrofoam? If you could find one of those Omaha steaks shipping containers, you'd be golden!

Actually, it just occurred to me that I do have a regular square cooler. Since I'm using a grain bag, I wouldn't need any false bottom or method of scooping out the mash.

Could I use this? I guess the only concern is how the wort would pour out of a square cooler. Could be messy!

Actually, it just occurred to me that I do have a regular square cooler. Since I'm using a grain bag, I wouldn't need any false bottom or method of scooping out the mash.

Could I use this? I guess the only concern is how the wort would pour out of a square cooler. Could be messy!

There you go! I think if you could pour the wort from a corner of the square cooler, it would flow nicely right into the pot...I would pour "deliberately" to avoid dribbling...if you know what I mean.

If you are going to pour, I would take the top of the cooler off first so that it isn't swinging around when you are trying to pour. I use a square cooler for a MLT and I can pop the lid right out of the hinge (I do this to clean it easily). If your hinges are screwed on, you could unscrew them then pour.

You could always go the "safe route" and use a pitcher to ladle it into your pot, but what fun is that???:ban: Good luck!

A cooler sounds ideal. IIRC, there was an article in BYO a few years ago about countertop partial mashing where the mash was done in a small cooler with a grain bag.

You could also just rack the wort from the cooler to the pot if you're worried about spilling. Autosiphon or even racking cane should work fine. You could then pour in the last little bit that didn't get racked. But pouring will probably just be fine, too.

Latest posts

Back