Can I bottle now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abweis0

Reaction score
I'm coming up on the end of fermentation, and plan to bottle tonight. I've made the following preparations:
- soaked bottles in a bleach/water solution for 4 hours
- rinsed out bottles and ran the dishwasher (empty) with no soap
- put bottles in dishwasher and ran cycle again, w/ no soap
- bottles are dry

I still need to sanitize my bottles before bottling. Can I use the no rinse sanitizer that came with my brewing equipment (Brewers Best Kit)? How soon can I bottle after sanitizing? Does the sanitizer need to be completely evaporated before I can bottle? Please help, I'm ready for step 2, but don't want to mess this up...any advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm coming up on the end of fermentation, and plan to bottle tonight. I've made the following preparations:
- soaked bottles in a bleach/water solution for 4 hours
- rinsed out bottles and ran the dishwasher (empty) with no soap
- put bottles in dishwasher and ran cycle again, w/ no soap
- bottles are dry

I still need to sanitize my bottles before bottling. Can I use the no rinse sanitizer that came with my brewing equipment (Brewers Best Kit)? How soon can I bottle after sanitizing? Does the sanitizer need to be completely evaporated before I can bottle? Please help, I'm ready for step 2, but don't want to mess this up...any advice is greatly appreciated!

I'd say your bottles are sanitized.

I wash mine in hot soapy water with bleach added.
Rinse then in hot water and let dry upside down.

All these things you've done.

The only thing I do just prior to bottling is to give them a quick rinse of cold water.

Never had any problems. :mug:

Sounds like your bottles are set. How long has your fermentation been going? You say you're "coming up on the end of fermentation" -- does that mean it's done now? If it's not quite done, you run the risk of bottle bombs, or worse -- beer that could taste better. Unless your hydrometer says it's done, give it some more time.

If it's just finishing now, let it sit for another 2 weeks before bottling.

impatient noob! :D

we've all been there. I rushed my first 3 or 4 batches. Fermented hot, too. Tasted like crap.

Has it been sitting in your fermenter for a month?

Yes? okay bottle.

No? Let it sit a while. This hobby is all about patience.
If you have another fermenter (bucket/carboy) then it's time to start your next batch while you are waiting! :rockin:

Thanks, fermented for more than 2 weeks now, no bubbles in the airlock for more than 48 hours (no bubles for a week actually).

-impatient noob

Honestly you may want to run them through the dishwasher without soap once more to make sure you really got the bleach out -- bleach can leave a horrible flavor in the beer.

Twice is probably good but I've made the mistake of letting bleach affect my beer...

Listen to these guys and just wait. My beer sits in the primary for at least four weeks before I even start testing the gravity. Makes for a much better end product.

I agree with all of the advice being given here. But, that being said, I say go ahead and don't be patient. Sure your beer will likely not be ready and up to par, but you will learn what an unfinished/unconditioned beer tastes like and will be able to see a big difference on later beers when you are patient. Besides, if you do get it in the bottles and start tasting them in 10-14 days, you will be far more likely to be patient on your next batch. So go ahead, just don't think that you are going to have the best product you can make. If you are realistic with your expectations, you will better learn the process.

All of the IPA was successfully bottled. I used 24, amber 22 oz. bottles and was also able to fill up 5 12oz. bottles. Can't wait to taste it in 10 days. Guess what? Now I can start on my second batch, and maybe i can be a little more patient.

Bottled: IPA

I like to bottle right after the bottles get out of the first or second wash cycle (whichever depends on the conditions the bottles are in and other observations).

Your beer will taste good but you will notice a significant difference if you wait longer on the next batch. I rushed my first batch through and the taste was a little off and the color was a little too cloudy. Both problems more than likely would've been fixed if I had been more patient. In the future take some more time and you will get a much better brew.

Back