Can I.....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travisbrew

Reaction score
Is it ok to open one of my beers thats been sitting for a solid week now? I asked one of my buddys about it and he said he's had beers carb up in 3 days sometimes but read things that say it takes about 2 weeks so I'm not sure, but I'm really pumped to see how it taste...is this ok?

Depends on too many factors. I have popped some bottles after a week and they were fine -- only one way to find out.....

It's fine if you want to open one, just don't expect it to taste good like it will after it has been in bottles for a while.

Is it ok to open one of my beers thats been sitting for a solid week now? I asked one of my buddys about it and he said he's had beers carb up in 3 days sometimes but read things that say it takes about 2 weeks so I'm not sure, but I'm really pumped to see how it taste...is this ok?

Its your beer, do what you want. Just don't be disappointed if its not finished. In my experience wheat style ales take less time to carb and I've had them full carb in 5-6 days. Heavier beers (6%+ ABV) require at the very minimum 2-3 weeks or longer before they are ready.

It's your beer and it desperately wants to meet your liver. Your brain is the only thing in its way.

I found that tasting throughout the process and taking notes is a great way to see how my creation is maturing.

Chill it, pop it open and enjoy. Then you can try another one next week and see what the difference is. Take notes as this is part of the scientific process.

Or at least tell yourself that.:mug:

I didn't bother when I first started brewing. Having made wine for years previously,I knew it wouldn't be that good. I waited 3 weeks before trying my first bottle. Now I find 4-5 weeks for the average ale to be best for good carbonation & malt/hop flavor balance.

I am still a beginner, but IMO you should wait longer. Try one, sure ... but like veritas said, don't expect it to be done yet. I try mine at one week, two weeks, etc., but you won't really know what it's gonna taste like until after 4 to 6 weeks. From the little I know, I think it depends a lot on the OG and how dark and/or heavy it is. From my little knowledge .... more time = better.

I've found that darker beers of average gravity ferment in about the same time as lighter ones. But take longer than the lighter ones to carb & condition in the bottles. Higher gravity even longer to ferment & condition exponentially.

Frankiesurf said:
It's your beer and it desperately wants to meet your liver. Your brain is the only thing in its way.

I found that tasting throughout the process and taking notes is a great way to see how my creation is maturing.

Chill it, pop it open and enjoy. Then you can try another one next week and see what the difference is. Take notes as this is part of the scientific process.

Or at least tell yourself that.:mug:

+1 on tasting along the way. Only one way for you to learn! Also, when do you get to drink beer in the name of science?

Good stuff guys, I think in that case I'm going to take my chances. I picked one of the brews with a yeast cake on the bottom so at least I know some fermentation has gone on.

+1 to more time = better
Not much experience here. But do hate to see the supply dwindling down as it is getting better and better. Then again, the experience of tasting the improvement over time is something I'm glad I did too.

Just don't come back on looking for re-assurance because it's not carbed or it tastes like crap. Just realize that if beers were ready after a week, we wouldn't be telling folks that it may take 3 or MORE weeks to carb and condtion.

Just know that more than likely it will not taste like you THINK it should....

Don't make your first post after tasting it "I know I opened early, BUT it...... will it be ok?"

+1 on "go for it!". If you had asked "is my beer ready?", then definitely the answer would be no. However, I think trying the beer at any point in the process is perfectly okay. I definitely did it with my first few batches. It really can't do any harm as long as your expectations are commiserate with the stage you beer as in. As wiser members have said above, don't expect it to be particularly representative of the final product.

HappyDrunk said:
LOL ... listen to Revvy .. aka Mr. 35K+ posts ... he knows his stuff!

Every post I read he comments! Lol I must say its usually always helpful. Does HBT pay you? If not they should.

Ok so I did it and all of you were right, interesting but definitely not good. I really hope it clears up a little more and taste a little better, right now it taste like cold wort with a little carbonation (really little), it smoked when I opened it though =)

Now you know what green beer tastes like and in a few more weeks (in my case it was about 2 months due to some noob mistakes), your beer will be mature and taste much better! I think all noobies should taste early so you 1. know what green beer (not the hokey St Patty's gimmick) tastes like, and 2. appreciate what time in the bottles does for you.

LOL ... listen to Revvy .. aka Mr. 35K+ posts ... he knows his stuff!

A lot of his posts are repeats of what he had just said:

- You don't have an infection.
- Don't open after a week.
- Carbonation takes time.
- RDWHAHB

Luckily for me, many of his other posts are less repetitive and really helpful to a new brewer like me.

Must get old replying to the same newbie posts over and over for years. I can't imagine anything being new to him. Seems like all the fun would be gone. I know I've learned a lot from him though. Thanks Revvy.

Back