Can a beer properly condition in a keg under co2 in the cold kegerayor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtus72

Reaction score
Hey guys, I did an extract kit from midwest supplies its the clone kit of surly's furious called ferocious ipa. I did an 8 day primary then tranfered on top of 3oz hops 2oz cascade and 1oz simcoe and did a five day dry hop. I then kegged and pressured but the beer was very sharp and did not have a good malt presence. Will this brew be able to properly condition in the keggerator since it is around 38 in there?

Hey guys, I did an extract kit from midwest supplies its the clone kit of surly's furious called ferocious ipa. I did an 8 day primary then tranfered on top of 3oz hops 2oz cascade and 1oz simcoe and did a five day dry hop. I then kegged and pressured but the beer was very sharp and did not have a good malt presence. Will this brew be able to properly condition in the keggerator since it is around 38 in there?

Yes.

Conditioning happens at every temperature (well, except freezing I guess), but it's faster at room temperature. Cold conditioning will be slower. That's why cellars are 55 degrees or so- it slows down the aging process but doesn't stop it.

I've made that beer, but I don't know what you mean about being "sharp". If it's sharp, could it be that it was quick carbed (burst carbed) and you're tasting carbonic acid? If so, that will be better in a few days.

hmm, I dont know but my gut says no, to cold for the yesties to do their work. Conditioning is the act of natural carbonation. if you set it under co2 in the cold and never gave it priming sugar then it is unlikely to " condition" at least thats what i think

Maybe it's semantics but the beer will continue to mature it's flavors and develop through minor chemical changes, but ale yeast are not going to do anything but sleep at 38F. I think of conditioning as contributions from yeast (bottle carbing, clean-up, etc.).

Yooper it was right off a dry hop when I tasted it it was just really sharp on the hops not like good citrusy, grapefruit sharp it was like rip the enamel from your teeth sharp. Maybe some alcohol sharpness. I wouldnt see it being from fusels because I fermented at 62 to 65 the whole time. I did not force carb. Doing the set and forget its been under 11 psi for four days since I tasted and I haven't touched it since. Had great color though.

Tasted the beer yesterday after four days in keg and it has already mellowed out a ton good hop flavor just still flat. I believe its going to turn out fairly good

Back