BYO - Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
The latest BYO magazine tells us to add gelatin after racking, then bottle, and the bottles should clear in 3-4 days.

This is not what I have done (based on this forum). I usually add the gelatin then immediately cold crash for 3-6 days then bottle.

The author claims that there are too many yeast cells in suspension in the fermentation vessel, and they clear much better in bottles, and have less distance to drop.

Opinions?

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Home Brew mobile app

Just two different ways of achieving the same result; they'll both work. I like yours a lot better, personally. If you can cold crash, I always recommend doing so.

I agree about cold crashing... although I am considering cold crashing, then adding gelatin the bottling bucket and see the results.

I'd be interested in that as well- perhaps a more solid yeast cake at the bottom fo the bottle that doesn't move when you pour? Could be cool. It could make any floaties that got into your glass kind of weird though, more chunky than cloudy.

Back