Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Kit Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #131
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

fwiw, on the subject of storing unsealed vaccum packs of instant dry yeast, of which notty is an example.

I have been making bread since i was quite young - my parents consider it a life skill.

I don't make bread very often, though.

I successfully make bread with SAF Instant bread yeast that has been stored in my freezer since 2001.

That expired sitting on a shelf, still sealed, in 1999. It was a large package.

They say to store beer yeasts in a refrigerator so i do, I just don't understand why a dry yeast would care as long as we keep the nasties away and slow down processes that might oxidize it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #132
gyst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I got my start with BBS kits and still do 1 gal batches pretty regularly to test recipes and do comparisons (large batch split up to ferment with different yeast strains, with or without dry-hopping, etc). The only other thing I would recommend that hasn't been recommended is a good digital scale. It allows you to pitch the correct amount of dry yeast (I usually 3g or so, depending on the OG - the Mr Malty pitch calculator can help you). When I used the half packet like the BBS directions recommend, I lost a lot of beer through the blow off tube due to vigorous ferment. When I started weighing out the correct amount of yeast, this problem essentially disappeared - still get good fermentation and good beer, but I don't waste a half-bottle to a whole bottle to a fermentation volcano (I still use a blow-off tube for the first three days, though, just in case).

Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #133
BlakeL
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyst View Post
I got my start with BBS kits and still do 1 gal batches pretty regularly to test recipes and do comparisons (large batch split up to ferment with different yeast strains, with or without dry-hopping, etc). The only other thing I would recommend that hasn't been recommended is a good digital scale. It allows you to pitch the correct amount of dry yeast (I usually 3g or so, depending on the OG - the Mr Malty pitch calculator can help you). When I used the half packet like the BBS directions recommend, I lost a lot of beer through the blow off tube due to vigorous ferment. When I started weighing out the correct amount of yeast, this problem essentially disappeared - still get good fermentation and good beer, but I don't waste a half-bottle to a whole bottle to a fermentation volcano (I still use a blow-off tube for the first three days, though, just in case).
I defiantly need to buy a more precise scale. I tried to measure out my hops for the Everyday IPA kit but it just wouldn't pick up the small amount that I needed. Any recommendation for a scale and digital thermometer?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #134
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
I defiantly need to buy a more precise scale. I tried to measure out my hops for the Everyday IPA kit but it just wouldn't pick up the small amount that I needed. Any recommendation for a scale and digital thermometer?
Just look at amazon or ebay for a scale that is accurate to 0.1g. or 0.01g.

The trick is finding one that doesn't look like drug paraphernalia. Which is ironic because they are available looking like phones and computer mice specifically because a digital scale that looks like lab equipment is easily spotted and identified as drug paraphernalia by many law enforcement agencies.

I decided to go whole hog and get one that is obviously lab equipment, but i had money to burn, and i sort of like the idea of narco cops raiding my house in a fruitless search for weed that never existed. It would take a whole team of them an entire day to be sure there is nothing.

Oh, and to be clear: You will not be able to measure your base malt and your hops on the same scale unless you spend many times the cost of just getting a small 0.1g scale and a larger scale rated to single grams (which will be useless under about 100g).

Old 05-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #135
jnalpak
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeanut7 View Post
I think I bottled according to the directions (after a week?) and all of my bottles would gush foam, leaving about 2/3 of a beer. Also, I would recommend getting priming sugar over honey, it costs like 40 cents.
How much priming sugar for the 1Gallon IPA did you use?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #136
BlakeL
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnalpak View Post
How much priming sugar for the 1Gallon IPA did you use?
I used 25g.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #137
jnalpak
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
I used 25g.
Thanks for everyone's help through these initial steps. I MADE BEER! :rocking:

I used 16oz bottles so it only made 6, actually works out b/c I have the grapefruit ale ready in the wings so i'll kick that off tomorrow after everything is dry.

re: priming sugar - I did the following using the 25g quote above from BlakeL -
  • 25g of priming sugar
  • 100ML of water
  • 11min boil
  • Let it cool in the sink with running water around it (don't let water get into it, put a lid on top), should be around 80 degrees.
  • I then funneled directly into the 1Gallon container and stirred it up for a few minutes. I tried not to disturb the yeast.
  • let it sit for 30minutes and then SIPHON (have partner stir slowly w/ the rack to mix the sugar around again, a little agitation, don't oxygenate it!

This link was helpful throughout the bottling stage. http://www.beertools.com/html/tutori...e03/step02.php

re: siphon - i did not invest in auto siphon since I want to move to 5G batches and purchase a nice starter kit (w/ all the fix ins) once I am completed with my next 2x 1G batch. With that said, this video was super helpful in regular siphon skills -

Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #138
Ply318ci
Recipes 

Looks good but I would stay away from clear bottles they can skunk the beer brown is better. I alway bottle atleast one beer in a clear bottle just to be able to see it. Congratulations on making beer.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #139
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ply318ci View Post
Looks good but I would stay away from clear bottles they can skunk the beer brown is better. I alway bottle atleast one beer in a clear bottle just to be able to see it. Congratulations on making beer.
Eh, it's not like he's going to put the beer on display in an open-front refrigerator. He'll be fine. Assuming he does actually keep them out of the light most of the time.

fwiw i disagree with the practice of filling a racking cane with sanitizer solution. Just use hot tap water.

A failed siphon start with sanitizer has a fairly high potential of ruining the beer depending on what you sanitized with. A failed siphon start with hot tap water has a very low potential of ruining the beer.

Better yet, just get an autosiphon. So easy to use.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #140
jnalpak
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim

Eh, it's not like he's going to put the beer on display in an open-front refrigerator. He'll be fine. Assuming he does actually keep them out of the light most of the time.

fwiw i disagree with the practice of filling a racking cane with sanitizer solution. Just use hot tap water.

A failed siphon start with sanitizer has a fairly high potential of ruining the beer depending on what you sanitized with. A failed siphon start with hot tap water has a very low potential of ruining the beer.

Better yet, just get an autosiphon. So easy to use.
Clear bottles will be fine, they are crated and in a room with no windows.

I emptied out the siphon starter into a separate glass first bf going into the bottles ( w beer flow) so I don't cause any possible taste issues. Also, it was starsan solution.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS