Brooklyn beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobotion

Reaction score
Hi just picked up a Brooklyn beer honey grapefruit kit got for 10.00 on sale wow mash is a lot of work unlike the liquid but I love the way it looks and smells can't wait to taste it. Anyone try it yet?

I haven't tried that one but welcome to the club!!

You will find a lot of info about the Brooklyn kits and 1-gallon all-grain brewing in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/1-gallon-brewers-unite-311884/

I agree that the mash technique they recommend is really a lot of work - I think you should try the BIAB method with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from a hardware store next time. Much easier and just as good!

I just picked up one of those kits as well. I enjoyed the process quite a bit, but won't be tasting for another 3 weeks, Let us know how it comes out.

My first brew was the Brooklyn Brew Shop Summer Wheat that was on sale for $25 from Williams-Sonoma - i even had a coupon code for free shipping! It turns out that this kit contains about $22 worth of stuff, but hey whatever.

I remember that the mash and the boil were the best aromas i had had in my kitchen, ever.

Also that the resulting beer was not that good, but i blame that on Munton's yeast. I would recommend a quarter of a packet of Fermentis WB-06 for anyone brewing that today, and lower fermentation temperatures than they recommend. low to mid 60's.

In fact, if anyone considering a brooklyn brew shop kit showed up at HBT having not yet purchased it, i would send them to their LHBS with an equivalent shopping list that would have the same or better stuff for less money -- but i do not begrudge BBS anyone they can bring into the hobby.

Seriously. the 1 gallon jug is about $5. Racking cane? $2.50 - shorten it yourself. 3/8" hose is 50 cents a foot - 4 feet? 2 bucks. Lab thermometer - $10. 2 pounds of wheat malt? $3.40. Ounce of styrian goldings - $3. WB-06 yeast: $4.50. Or munton's for a buck if you insist.

That's about $35. Those are actual prices from my LHBS. About the same as BBS charges for their kit, and the malt, yeast, and hops are better or in better condition. Also, skip the glass lab thermometer and get a digital probe thermometer at walmart for about the same price - I'm not saying it's more accurate, i'm saying it's faster.

A 2-pack of fine nylon mesh paint strainer bags is $3.50 at Lowes, so i expect the same or lower at a good hardware store (because lowes is a mediocre hardware store). I highly recommend the brew-in-a-bag method for small batches, with a 90 minute mash. These are great grain bags - just run them through the same laundry as your dish towels, skip the dryer, and go to town with 'em.

Also - sanitation is key, but sanitation after the boil is the part that is really, really important.

My first brew was the Brooklyn Brew Shop Summer Wheat that was on sale for $25 from Williams-Sonoma - i even had a coupon code for free shipping! It turns out that this kit contains about $22 worth of stuff, but hey whatever.

I remember that the mash and the boil were the best aromas i had had in my kitchen, ever.

Also that the resulting beer was not that good, but i blame that on Munton's yeast. I would recommend a quarter of a packet of Fermentis WB-06 for anyone brewing that today, and lower fermentation temperatures than they recommend. low to mid 60's.

In fact, if anyone considering a brooklyn brew shop kit showed up at HBT having not yet purchased it, i would send them to their LHBS with an equivalent shopping list that would have the same or better stuff for less money -- but i do not begrudge BBS anyone they can bring into the hobby.

Seriously. the 1 gallon jug is about $5. Racking cane? $2.50 - shorten it yourself. 3/8" hose is 50 cents a foot - 4 feet? 2 bucks. Lab thermometer - $10. 2 pounds of wheat malt? $3.40. Ounce of styrian goldings - $3. WB-06 yeast: $4.50. Or munton's for a buck if you insist.

That's about $35. Those are actual prices from my LHBS. About the same as BBS charges for their kit, and the malt, yeast, and hops are better or in better condition. Also, skip the glass lab thermometer and get a digital probe thermometer at walmart for about the same price - I'm not saying it's more accurate, i'm saying it's faster.

A 2-pack of fine nylon mesh paint strainer bags is $3.50 at Lowes, so i expect the same or lower at a good hardware store (because lowes is a mediocre hardware store). I highly recommend the brew-in-a-bag method for small batches, with a 90 minute mash. These are great grain bags - just run them through the same laundry as your dish towels, skip the dryer, and go to town with 'em.

Also - sanitation is key, but sanitation after the boil is the part that is really, really important.

Yes I love the aroma. I hope mine comes out good. I did enjoy the mash. I might even try a larger mash kit but I need a bigger strainer

Yes I love the aroma. I hope mine comes out good. I did enjoy the mash. I might even try a larger mash kit but I need a bigger strainer

That's the beauty of the BIAB method.

You line one pot with the mesh bag, put in all the water, put in the grain, mash inside the bag, and then at the end of the mash you just tie off the bag and lift it out. If you have a strainer or colander that you can balance on top of the pot, you can put the bag in that so that the last of the wort will drip out of it.

That's the beauty of the BIAB method.

You line one pot with the mesh bag, put in all the water, put in the grain, mash inside the bag, and then at the end of the mash you just tie off the bag and lift it out. If you have a strainer or colander that you can balance on top of the pot, you can put the bag in that so that the last of the wort will drip out of it.

Yeah I need to buy a few large mesh bags

Hi just picked up a Brooklyn beer honey grapefruit kit got for 10.00 on sale wow mash is a lot of work unlike the liquid but I love the way it looks and smells can't wait to taste it. Anyone try it yet?

Where did you pick up the kit so cheap? I've been looking for a good deal because with a lot of the other users, I don't think it's worth the $40 retail price. Let me know!

Cheers!
Mike

I had a $ 10 coupon from chef central and the had it on sale

Everyday was my first brew many moons ago. Great place to start. Someone mentioned a quarter packet of yeast, but I think they actually don't give you a yeast packet anymore, just a prepackaged amount of the yeast you need. I could be wrong.

When those kits are on sale, they are very cost effective!

Question to people using BIAB technique with BBS equipment / recipes:

1) how much water are you mashing with for a 1- gallon batch?
2) what temperature are you mashing at?
3) how long?
4) do you still mash out before starting the boil?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. I've brewed the Chocolate Maple Porter and the Everyday IPA so far. The porter was disappointing and the IPA is still in the fermenter. Next planned batches will be from the BBS book.

Where did you pick up the kit so cheap? I've been looking for a good deal because with a lot of the other users, I don't think it's worth the $40 retail price. Let me know!

Cheers!
Mike

Its not I let you know how the beer tastes in a few weeks

I started with Mr beer....was really getting to think making beer was lame, but then I found a bbs kit and was hooked on all grain.

no, the kit isn't cost effective - but are any kits? It was a great way to get started into something that I never would have tried.

Cheers!
Mike

On their website, the recipe kits are about $15. The $40 is the recipe plus the needed equipment to start brewing. Might be worth it if you're just getting started. If you already own the gear, then I would just look at the recipes.

I've thought about that since I have NB's starter kit. The only thing I think I would need is a smaller fermentor. Some one on here posted about getting free 2 or 3 (can't remember the size) gallon cake icing buckets from their local Walmart. I may check mine for that. If not, there's other places I could get those buckets if I don't splurge for the $40 kit.

Latest posts

Back