Brewing with fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talsma

Reaction score
I'm looking to make an applewood smoked IPA with pineapple and mango...any tips for smoking an IPA...actually smoking the mash in a smoker..and how/ when is a good point to add the fruit. I'm gettin crazy with this one lol

How many brews have you done? I'm not against trying new or different things, but that seems like quite a task if you are a new brewer.

Since you mentioned smoking the mash, are you doing an all grain? I would think smoking the mash would be pretty difficult unless you have a really big smoker, and a good way to control the temp. I think a good deal of stirring would also be necessary if you want to impart any real smokey flavor to the mash since the water will block most of the smoke.

As far as the fruit goes, most people add it to the secondary.

Ahh...your doing an extract with steeping grains?

In that case I'd be very careful about getting them to hot and scorching them. I have done this in my grill that has a smoker box, but with that I'm able keep the heat far away from the grain.

Just smoke the fruit then cook up the wort and add fruit.

Latest posts

Back