The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewer's Best Carbonation Drops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
natelindner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Brewer's Best Carbonation Drops?

Hi all,

I've seen posts about Brewer's Best conditioning tablets and Cooper's carbonation drops but never anything about Brewer's Best carbonation drops. Does anyone have experience with these? It says 1 per 12 oz bottle but it doesnt say if thats for medium carb, low carb, high carb etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
DogFace_Brewing
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Those are usually 1 for a medium carb is you wait the 4-6 weeks it needs

Old 03-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 226

For the life of me, I cannot understand the fascination with carb drops/carb tabs, except to perhaps rescue a beer that you forgot to prime.

How hard is it to boil a few ounces of sugar in a cup of water for a minute or two, dump that into your bottling bucket, then rack the beer onto the sugar solution and bottle as normal?

It's cheaper than carb agents, it's rock solid reliable, and it gives you full control over the carbonation levels. Want high carb? Add a little more sugar. Want low carb? Add a little less sugar.

I mean no offense to the OP. I seriously just don't understand the attraction.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Pastorken
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Carb caps come in handy when bottling from 1 or 2 gallon fermenters. If I'm bottling a full batch, boiling sugar and adding to the bottling bucket is much more reliable and inexpensive. But I keep a bag of carb tabs around for some of my small experiments. It's just easier and more accurate than trying to add sugar to 1 gallon of brew. RDWHAHB!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastorken View Post
Carb caps come in handy when bottling from 1 or 2 gallon fermenters. If I'm bottling a full batch, boiling sugar and adding to the bottling bucket is much more reliable and inexpensive. But I keep a bag of carb tabs around for some of my small experiments. It's just easier and more accurate than trying to add sugar to 1 gallon of brew. RDWHAHB!
Hey, whatever works for you. I will admit that I only brew five gallon batches.

Still, though, I'm the kind of guy that uses a priming sugar calulator and measures sugar to the gram to get the exact carbonation that I want. Measuing out an ounce and a half of sugar for a two gallon batch is just as easy as measuring out four ounces for a five gallon batch, and it assures me of getting perfect carbonation. Plus, I know that my process is consistent, so there's one less possible variable to have to account for.

I just don't get it.

But hey, I also don't get the allure of the I'M SO BITTER I'LL MELT YOUR FACE DIPA craze, either. I'm not saying that folks are wrong for liking either item, just that I can't seem to wrap my head around them.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
DogFace_Brewing
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
I just don't get it.
Racking 6 bottles worth of beer and dropping carb tabs in them before proceeding to fill my keg is a lot easier them measuring out sugar and transferring to a bottling bucket just to fill a six pack. It may not be your thing, but yes plenty of us use them to fill some bottles.

If you need to carb a whole batch...YES use sugar and do the batch at once.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by natelindner View Post
Hi all,

I've seen posts about Brewer's Best conditioning tablets and Cooper's carbonation drops but never anything about Brewer's Best carbonation drops. Does anyone have experience with these? It says 1 per 12 oz bottle but it doesnt say if thats for medium carb, low carb, high carb etc.
I believe the Brewers best ones are very similar if not the same as the COopers. I have used them all...Brewers' Muntons Coopers. I find them convenient when I don't need to carb to a particular style. Gives consistent results.

to each their own. I use tabs and priming sugar...depends on the brew.

My only caveat is that the Munton's "tiny" tabs where you use anywhere from 1-5 or so were horrible. Also, someone mentioned 4-6 weeks for carbonation...i have never needed more than 2 for carbing using teh tabs.....now flavor wise 4-6 weeks can be understandable.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
natelindner
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I only bottled a gallon so it was much more efficient to use the carb drops. To each their own though. Cheers.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
For the life of me, I cannot understand the fascination with carb drops/carb tabs, except to perhaps rescue a beer that you forgot to prime.

How hard is it to boil a few ounces of sugar in a cup of water for a minute or two, dump that into your bottling bucket, then rack the beer onto the sugar solution and bottle as normal?

It's cheaper than carb agents, it's rock solid reliable, and it gives you full control over the carbonation levels. Want high carb? Add a little more sugar. Want low carb? Add a little less sugar.

You forgot the part where you clean and sanitize the bucket and auto siphon
and any thing else you will be using. then clean and sanitize everything again after you are done
Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I use them on small one gallon competition batches on beer styles I don't particularly enjoy, and on test batches. Very easy and convenient to just pop a sugar ball in a bottle of finished beer and cap them off in a batch less than half a case in amount.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Quick Reply