Bottling quickly question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just1pepsi

Reaction score
Really, its more along the lines of deviating away from the general consensus here which is to let it sit in the primary for 3 weeks before bottling.

I noticed my first batch *edit (NB Sierra Madre (SNPA Clone)) stopped fermenting after 4 days, so I took a gravity reading and it was at the target FG, I plan to get another reading either tonight or tomorrow night. (probably tomorrow night) and if it remains stable I want to bottle it.

I tasted it last time I took a gravity reading and it tasted great, so I don't see a need to wait any longer, and I'm a bit anxious to get it bottled and conditioning there. Other than clarity (potentially) and off flavors (I didnt detect any) what reason should I let it ride for two more weeks prior to bottling?

Oh sorry, NB Sierra Madre (SNPA clone)
I already love the taste, so I don't see any reason to wait.. I mean, I know it will be better, but I'm all antsy in my pantsy to get it bottled and brew another batch. (Which I should be able to wait for while drinking this one)

Sounds like you are going to bottle it regardless... so I would suggest just racking half of it off to a bottling bucket and saving half for 3 weeks. This way you can compare what the difference will be in the future.

Oh sorry, NB Sierra Madre (SNPA clone)
I already love the taste, so I don't see any reason to wait.. I mean, I know it will be better, but I'm all antsy in my pantsy to get it bottled and brew another batch. (Which I should be able to wait for while drinking this one)

If you like the taste, then bottle it. Home brewing is all about doing what you like. As long as you reached your FG, you shouldn't have to worry about bottle bombs. If I were you, I would leave it for a month though :mug:

If the beer is clear, then bottling it is ok. If it's not, it'll still clear. Just give you more crud in the bottles, which I find unappealing.

I'm a hurrier myself, but no way would I bottle a 6-7 day old beer. It'll have tons of crap that will fall out, all into the bottle. YUCK! People complain about 1/8" of crap in their bottles- I can't even imagine an inch of crud in the bottle. That is pretty gross.

But of course, if the beer is clear, not much will fall out except excess yeast so maybe only 1/2" of sediment will form. If the beer isn't clear, though, the bottles will be pretty grody and gross when it does clear.

A lot of people here skip secondary so leave it it primary longer. I'm a strong believer in secondaries, particularly after I see what is in the bottom of the secondary before kegging/bottling. Each to their own, and you'll get a lot of opinions on here on what works best for them. For me personally, primary until there is no more activity/movement in gravity or you hit what you want. I typically let my primaries go longer till i get around to secondary or have availability of carboys but mostly always secondary. The off chance I don't secondary, i crash cool for a few days. Experiment and do whatever works for you.

thats a good point.. its still fairly cloudy, and I do have a secondary I can rack into for the purpose of freeing up my primary. Perhaps the thing to do is go buy a six pack of the real deal to tide me over, and be patient. I dont mind sediment in the bottles, but the thought of an inch or so is pretty off putting. Thanks for the advice.. I'll just be patient.

Try botteling one early drinking it at 3 weeks then try botteling later then see which one turns out better. I made the mistake of bottleing too early but i also pitched too high.It took a few months for them to be good.I figured it was botteling early and high pitch but the more i brew i think it was more of the high pitch temp.

As long as your fermentation is complete, verified with specific gravity readings, give it a try, there's no harm in experimenting

"If you choose to do so, or if necessity dictates, you may store the beer in the carboy with an active fermentation lock for one month without any risk of significant deterioration of flavor. But your beer will be at its best if bottled when visible signs of fermentation are negligible. You should assure yourself that it is bottling time by taking hydrometer readings on 2 or 3 consecutive days. If the readings remain unchanged, your brew is certainly ready to bottle."

"Ultimately, the determining factor is: Drink it when you like it, as you like it and when you feel it's the right time."
CP

I've left a beer in the primary for over two months with no autolysis. Search around the forum, those yeast are still working away cleaning up byproducts produced during fermentation. Have patience! Your beer will taste better.

thats a good point.. its still fairly cloudy, and I do have a secondary I can rack into for the purpose of freeing up my primary. Perhaps the thing to do is go buy a six pack of the real deal to tide me over, and be patient. I dont mind sediment in the bottles, but the thought of an inch or so is pretty off putting. Thanks for the advice.. I'll just be patient.

Patience makes great beer better :) If you start getting to impatient, just brew more and build the pipeline :)

Back