Bottling Question: Extended Brew time with Cooper's Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scp

Reaction score
Greetings,

2 weeks ago, I started a Cooper's Irish Stout kit. I added DME and Corn Sugar as the instructions suggested for the brew. I have been brewing it in the primary longer than the suggested 6 days because I got sick and haven't been able to bottle it (not to mention, there was still some activity after 7 days).

Since it has been sitting longer than required, is there anything special I need to do to start bottle carbonation/conditioning? I plan on just adding 1/2 cup of corn sugar, because I don't want too much carbonation since it is a stout.

Any help for this newb is much appreciated.

Thanks!

That seems fine. I have a small kitchen scale, and weigh my priming sugar, but 1/2 cup seems ok if you want a lower carbonation level.

I always leave my beers at least two weeks (sometimes quite a bit longer!) in the fermenter, as it seems to make the beer better with less sediment in the bottle, so I'm sure you're fine!

I have this same coopers irish stout in my primary now - it has been 10 days. Since I am a newbie also, I want to ask why do I bother with a hydrometer reading if all of the wise advice is to leave in a primary for two weeks? If I have no activity in the airlock and the FG is where it is supposed to be after one week, I still plan on leaving it in for the full 14 days. Besides the obvious - I will know what my ABV is, what is the purpose of measuring with the hydrometer if I am going to wait for two weeks regardless?

BTW - since I was reading and writing on this post, I just did a quick sample of my stout. Wow! It is going to be nice. It starts dry and then is nice and soft on the palate. Very nice aftertaste that makes me feel like I am drinking a stout I ordered at a bar.

I have a Dry Irish Stout in the fermenter from right around Christmas. I decided to leave this one set for a while.

Maybe next week I'll bottle.

If its high alcohol it wouldnt hurt to let it sit 4 weeks min.Or if its not high alcohol, IM letting my 4% something oatmeal vanilla creme stout sit 4 weeks to bottle. Sounds good i cant wait to do an irish something ale.

My stout is very nice although I thought it would be under carbonated, it is not. Some bottles after a few weeks took on a licorice flavor. Now, I only have about 7 bottles left and no more licorice flavor - just good solid dry irish stout! Very happy with this.

Back