Bottles for Golden Strong Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummerguy

Reaction score
I just finished bottling my second batch and I'm ready to get started on my next one. I have recipes created for both a Golden Strong and a Belgian Blond Ale, but I would prefer brewing the Golden Strong first. The issue I have is with the bottles. I want to say I read somewhere that normal bottles cannot handle the amount of carbonation needed for this beer, and I don't have that many Belgian-style bottles at this time (or the equipment needed for corking the larger ones). Should I go with the Blond Ale until I can acquire the necessary equipment or would I be fine using the standard bottles I already have?

Regular bottles will be fine up to about 3 vols co2. But Golden Strongs are best in the 3.5 area. I would highly recommend Belgian style bottles for it. The beer would still be good in the high 2's, just not as good as it could be.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I bottle my Apfelwein at close to 4 vols, and haven't broken a bottle yet. Even re-used Widmer and Bridgeport bottles, which are fairly thin.

I am bottling my Belgian golden strong tomorrow...... I have grolsch bottles though so it wont be a problem.

Buy some PET bottles or maybe do a little more research and see what you come up with as far as normal bottles go.
Honestly If my grolsch bottles were filled I would have used whatever, didnt even think about it till I saw your post!

Thanks for the info, everyone. I may go ahead with the Blonde for now and try to save more Belgian-style bottles before I brew the Golden Strong. If nothing else, it gives me an excuse to purchase more beer for tasting purposes.

You can use the champagne style bottles too if you buy the plastic barbed corks. You can save the cages or buy them, and those bottles look great.

You can use the champagne style bottles too if you buy the plastic barbed corks. You can save the cages or buy them, and those bottles look great.

You can also get a larger bell for your capper. That and some bottle caps that are appropriately sized. I think they are 29mm.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

3.5 volumes is fine in standard 12 oz bottles, so don't let that stop you from brewing a golden strong. Now if you don't have temp control for fermentation on the other hand...

Back