Bottled water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donshizzles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked before and I apologize if it has but I just couldn't find the answer in the search function SO.........

When using store bought bottled water for brewing (instead of filtered tap) what type is the best.....spring? distilled? purified? mineral?

I use spring or purified, can't tell a difference in the finished product but spring water is usually my first choice.

I typically use spring. I think distilled won't hurt anything, but I don't think it's recommended as it adds nothing to the beer - water is the main ingredient after all. Using mineral water sounds intriguing, but I have no experience with it so don't know what it would do to the flavor.

distilled water is bad. i don't know why, i just know that it is. try testing your tap water, then treating it to suit the style of beer you are brewing. "Beer Captured" (Szamatulski)has a good water modification appendix.

Back