Bottle reuse safety question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoronaJeanine

Reaction score
I found this beer in the grocery store that is in a sweet bottle shaped like a buddha. They're standard size so I want to reuse them for my home brew, but they're imported from China. I imagine there are trade laws n' such that standardize imported glass, but does anyone know if there are any safety issues with reusing imported bottles? I guess what I'm worried about is lead.

Those lil buddha bottles are pretty cool for sure! I really doubt they are any less safe than the other bottles we are reusing, but I have no scientific backing for that statement. The big problem I see with using them, is that they are green (assuming we are talking about the same beer). I'm sure you could take the necessary precautions to keep them out of light, but if green really passes light through then why use them? I kept one for my beer room that I have yet to build. ;) After all, they some cool friggin bottles!

agentEhrman said:
Those lil buddha bottles are pretty cool for sure! I really doubt they are any less safe than the other bottles we are reusing, but I have no scientific backing for that statement. The big problem I see with using them, is that they are green (assuming we are talking about the same beer). I'm sure you could take the necessary precautions to keep them out of light, but if green really passes light through then why use them? I kept one for my beer room that I have yet to build. ;) After all, they some cool friggin bottles!

I guess I am being a little paranoid about the safety of the glass. I didn't even think about light passing through the green glass though. Duh! Maybe windowsill decoration is a better option..

Aschecte said:
So what's the problem ? Reuse them your only refilling them with was in rem to begin with.

Yea..I was over thinking it and missing the obvious answer. agentERHman pointed out that green glass isn't the best color glass anyway, so I'll probably find some other use for them.

Yea..I was over thinking it and missing the obvious answer. agentERHman pointed out that green glass isn't the best color glass anyway, so I'll probably find some other use for them.

You could do some funky stuff with them, I wish I was more artistically inclined sometimes. Cheers to the buddha beer!

:mug:

How many millions of beers are served every year in green and clear bottles?

True statement: stored in direct sunlight, a beer in a brown bottle will be better than a beer in a green bottle which will be better than a beer stored in a clear bottle.

Keep them in the dark (basement, closet, under a blanket, in the fridge, etc.) and they are all equivalent. I would say it is worth it to use them.

As with the previous poster, I'd love to see a picture...

Latest posts

Back