Bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
When I use extract brews, the instructions say to keep bottles in a warm place for 2 days after bottling, then move to a cool place after that for at least 2 weeks to condition, so what is the ideal temperature to condition at after the first 2 days?

I would do them at room temp and then move to somewhere at 60 degrees or under

So are colder temps better than warmer temps for conditioning? Is fridge temperature too cold?

When I use extract brews, the instructions say to keep bottles in a warm place for 2 days after bottling, then move to a cool place after that for at least 2 weeks to condition, so what is the ideal temperature to condition at after the first 2 days?

Two days isn't enough. Three weeks at 70 degrees is ideal. This will ensure proper carbonation. After three weeks you can refrigerate or place in a cool environment (50's) and age for any amount of time. The aging process depends on the type of beer really.

the longer the better. I have some going on three years
:ban:

when you leave them in bottle for so long, do you use the special oxygen caps or just the regular ones? i noticed that most shops (at least on the net) say that the oxygen caps are good when you are bottling for 6+ months, is this true or are they just trying to make more $$?

Yeah, todays and into the cold is not the recipe for well carbed and conditioned beer. The three weeks at 70 degrees is just a rule of thumb of an average strength beer, some may take a week or so less, some may take longer.

In frige temps (anything below 50 degrees) your ale yeast will go dormant..and won't be carbing or conditioning your beers, they will be too busy sleeping.

I've had stouts and porters take 6-8 weeks, and I have a 1.090 og Belgian strong ale that took about three months.

Here's some more info on bottle carbing (and conditioning) because even if a beer is fizzy, it doesn't necessarly mean that the beer still doesn't taste crappy and green, and need some more time;

Revvy's Blog; Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning

Stick them away, and get another batch started...

:mug:

when you leave them in bottle for so long, do you use the special oxygen caps or just the regular ones? i noticed that most shops (at least on the net) say that the oxygen caps are good when you are bottling for 6+ months, is this true or are they just trying to make more $$?

I've never used them, especially if it's a regular drinking beer....If I were aging something like a barely wine that I wouldn't be touching for at least a year...I might consider itm, maybe...but for general beers and a few months in the bottle...(and despite what Miller says with their NEW commercial) not necessary.

So are colder temps better than warmer temps for conditioning? Is fridge temperature too cold?

The fridge is way too cold. You need to give the yeast a chance to work. 70F for three weeks is a good temperature to shoot for, but anything in the ballpark should be fine. Don't store them in your 110F attic; don't store them in your fridge.

Am I best off leaving the bottles at room temperature when conditioning an ale, and only refrigerating them for a couple of days before drinking?

Am I best off leaving the bottles at room temperature when conditioning an ale, and only refrigerating them for a couple of days before drinking?

You leave them at room temp (or 70 plus degrees) for as long as it takes for them to carb and condition...I usually start at three weeks, then chill a bottle for 2 days and taste it, if I like the level of carb and the taste, I go ahead an chill them...I have found that the longer you chill them, the clearer the beer is (no "chill haze") and the less sediment there is in the pour...I found a beer in my fridge that had been in there for a couple months, and the yeast sediment had compacted into a nice tight pile, that did not pour into my beer...I could have upended it, rather than "pouring to the shoulder."

I found a beer in my fridge that had been in there for a couple months, and the yeast sediment had compacted into a nice tight pile, that did not pour into my beer...I could have upended it, rather than "pouring to the shoulder."

I have had the same experience with a stout, I conditioned it in the bottle for about 2 months, after 2 weeks in the fridge, the yeast wasn't going anywhere.

After the first few, I didn't even try pouring it to the shoulder, in it went!:rockin:

I have had the same experience with a stout, I conditioned it in the bottle for about 2 months, after 2 weeks in the fridge, the yeast wasn't going anywhere.

After the first few, I didn't even try pouring it to the shoulder, in it went!:rockin:

Sorry for the n00bness, but what does "pouring it to the shoulder" mean or refer to??

wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait .... wait.

WAIT.

Carbonated beer in the fridge will still continue to age?

I've had my barley wine aging in the bathroom at ~75 for the past half year!!

I've been doing this hobby for a year, and I still know NOTHING about it. *sigh*

wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait .... wait.

WAIT.

Carbonated beer in the fridge will still continue to age?

I've had my barley wine aging in the bathroom at ~75 for the past half year!!

I've been doing this hobby for a year, and I still know NOTHING about it. *sigh*

Slowly....it is often called cold conditioning...

Remember, bottle conditioned homebrew is alive!!!!

It's a living, evolving entity. It's going to change overtime, the rate of change is going to be determined by the temp it is stored at.

Back