Bottle carbonation question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigox420

Reaction score
I bottle my first batch of beer a week ago. I know it take at least 2 weeks to carb . I tried 1 small bottle 3 days after and no carbonation now tried one a week after bottle and very little carbonation. I only ask because I tried a porter my friend brew after 4 days and there was a big difference in carbonation.
My questions are how long before you see any carbonation?
Is it normal to have little to no carbonation after the first week ?

I brewed the brewcraft Rouge Hazelnut Brown Nectar. OG was 1.041 got it down to 1.001 . So that should be around 5.24% . Right ?
Primed with 3/4 cup of priming sugar with 2 cups of water boiled as directed.
Put the priming sugar and hazelnut flavoring in bottling bucket before the beer was transferred. Stirred than bottled.

I bottle my first batch of beer a week ago. I know it take at least 2 weeks to carb . I tried 1 small bottle 3 days after and no carbonation now tried one a week after bottle and very little carbonation. I only ask because I tried a porter my friend brew after 4 days and there was a big difference in carbonation.

I brewed the brewcraft Rouge Hazelnut Brown Nectar. OG was 1.041 got it down to 1.001 . So that should be around 5.24% . Right ?
Put the priming sugar and hazelnut flavoring in bottling bucket before the beer was transferred. Stirred than bottled.

The warmer the better. Stick it in a warm room in your house and that will accelerate the process.

Did you refrigerate the sample you tried? A couple days in the fridge forces the CO2 throughout your beer.

My first batch I put in the fridge too early. It too over a month to show promise. Then I put my second batch in a container and added Christmas lights - putting some in and taking some out until I hit 68-70 degrees. I needed to do this because it was cool in my basement. 3 weeks later, great beer.

No offense, but you say you know it takes at least 2 weeks to carb and then turn around and ask how long it takes. I have also tried at 1 week and had carbonation, but have a RIS that at 1 month just barely had any. Just be patient it takes time and will usually just get better as it goes along

Yep, if you put the sugar in the beer, and the sealed them correctly they will carb. Its really a full proof process as many veteran brewers mention.

I ALWAYS let mine carb for at least a month. I never sample or anything during that month. It has worked for me every time.
RDWHAHB!! :mug:

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out. You have green beer.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

I've carbed hundreds of gallons of beer, and never had a beer that wasn't carbed, or under carbed or anything of the sort (Except for a batch where I accidently mixed up lactose or Maltodextrine for priming sugar). Some took awhile, (as I said up to six months) but they ALL eventually carbed.

If your beer is cooler it would take longer for the beer to get to the correct level of carbonation, because sluggish yeast do things slower than more awake ones, and the cooler a beer is stored, the sluggish the yeast is.

Thanks for the info. So far from the people who posted useful knowledge without being a smart a** I have come to the conclusion that I am storing to it a little to cold.

I stated that I know it takes two weeks but am asking since I am a noob to the process and trying to educate myself along the way. Nothing wrong with wanting to see how it changes throughout the process.

Thanks again happy brewing.
CHEERS

Also,as a point of interest,I've noticed that even darker mid-gravity beers will take longer to carbonate & condition than their lighter colored counterparts. Higher gravity complicates this by needing longer conditioning at 70F. They also need at least 2 weeks fridge time to get decent carbonation & head at higher gravities. That's yet another reason we say patience is a virtue to the brewer.

Thanks for the info. So far from the people who posted useful knowledge without being a smart a** I have come to the conclusion that I am storing to it a little to cold.

I stated that I know it takes two weeks but am asking since I am a noob to the process and trying to educate myself along the way. Nothing wrong with wanting to see how it changes throughout the process.

Thanks again happy brewing.
CHEERS

Nothing wrong at all. It's a hobby right? Bump up the temp and taste along the way. You can always brew more beer.

Yes it has. Still little. I feel it is not finished yet but there is about 1/4" to 1/2" when poured into glass or swirled. Thanks for the help again guys .

Happy brewing
CHEERS.

Latest posts

Back