Bittering hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickbarbato

Reaction score
Just finished my second brew... Only this last one was dif from the first because I had bittering hops... My question (now that it's too late to matter) how can I get rid of the hops pieces before I dump it in my fermenter?

Are u even supposed to get them out? Or can u just use a strainer or something?

Thanks for the help!!!

dump everything in!! it all settles and clears up just fine!! i acount for the space and ensure 5.5 gal goes into the fermenter to get 5 gal out.. long primary and keg is all ive done and i get clear beer every time.. just dont let your racking cane dig into your trub and your golden :mug:

Just finished my second brew... Only this last one was dif from the first because I had bittering hops... My question (now that it's too late to matter) how can I get rid of the hops pieces before I dump it in my fermenter?

Are u even supposed to get them out? Or can u just use a strainer or something?

Thanks for the help!!!

You can pour it through a sanitized strainer if you'd like, although I don't bother. It'll all settle out with the trub at the bottom at the end.

Thanks, settled my nerves I thought I goofed up... I only use one fermenter though. I go straight from first fermenter to bottles. Read a secondary isn't completely needed?

Thanks, settled my nerves I thought I goofed up... I only use one fermenter though. I go straight from first fermenter to bottles. Read a secondary isn't completely needed?

correct unless adding fruit or dry hopping or aging etc.. i also move the day before i package so if the trub does kick up it can settle again ;)

Off subject but you guys are very helpful... Moving to priming my bottles, I used one heaping teaspoon and then took the dull edge of a knife to level off the extra... Is this technically a teaspoon or should I of used a heaping teaspoon per 12 ounces?

Off subject but you guys are very helpful... Moving to priming my bottles, I used one heaping teaspoon and then took the dull edge of a knife to level off the extra... Is this technically a teaspoon or should I of used a heaping teaspoon per 12 ounces?

Boy, that I don't know. I always dissolve 1 ounce (by weight) of corn sugar per gallon of beer into 2 cups of water and boil it for a minute. Then I put that in my bottling bucket and rack the beer into it. I've never attempted to measure a teaspoonful at a time (what a pain!), so I can't answer that, sorry.

lol :D correct measurement is leveled but in cooking i just shake it a little:mug:

Just as an aside- I don't use a clearing vessel ("secondary") but to go right from the fermenter to bottles makes it tough. You don't need a clearing vessel, but I rack to a bottling bucket where the priming solution is mixed and all of the hops debris and trub is left behind in the fermenter.

Trying to skip a clearing vessel AND a bottling bucket might make it tough for bottling.

Just as an aside- I don't use a clearing vessel ("secondary") but to go right from the fermenter to bottles makes it tough. You don't need a clearing vessel, but I rack to a bottling bucket where the priming solution is mixed and all of the hops debris and trub is left behind in the fermenter.

Trying to skip a clearing vessel AND a bottling bucket might make it tough for bottling.

+1 to this. If you try to mix in your priming solution in your primary, you could disturb a lot of the yeast on the bottom giving you some pretty cloudy beer, not to mention risk of oxidation. But if you have a separate bottling bucket with spigot, your good to go! :rockin:

I would suggest you try it both ways if you have the equipment. Do what feels best for you. There are a thousand guys who only use a primary and a thousand more who use a secondary. I find I like a secondary because it works best for me and what I want for a finished product. I also cold crash prior to bottling. So far, I've been able to meet my goals for what I make. Find what works for you.

Sometimes I filter. Sometimes I don't. The only real difference I've seen is that the filtered batches are a lot easier to harvest yeast from.

Back