Best Way To Use Cocao Nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I recently brewed up a brown ale that I want a prominent chocolate taste in. Having asked before I was told that cocao nibs was the way to do this so I bought an 8 oz pack and intend on using 1/2 of it.

From what I've been reading it seems the consensus is to use 4 oz as a "dry hop" addition. I intend on pulsing them in a blender to break them up a bit, and not to turn them into powder, and drop them in a few days before bottling day (3 days).

Is this the best way to do this?

This is what I brewed (5.5 gal batch):

5 lbs golden light LME (FO)
1.5 lbs 2-row
0.75 lb C 60
0.75 lb C 120
0.75 lb white wheat berries
6 oz carafoam
0.25 lb chocolate
2 oz Liberty (4.9%) @ 77 mins
US-05

1.058/1.012 (was supposed to be 1.052)
6%
28 IBU's
20 SRM

I am interested in how this comes out for you. I am in the process of doing a chocolate porter and I added 4 oz of nibs at the beginning of fermentation hoping that this will provide a nice flavor to the brew. Time will tell.

-J-

I usually soak my nibs in bourbon for about a week before adding to the secondary. To me 4 oz is just barely noticeable. I use 8 oz anymore, but I use them as they are no chopping them up.

I've seen that you want to break them up a bit. Maybe for the surface area? Maybe because the good stuff is inside?

Back