Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer tastes like vinegar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #21
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 157

star san is not powder nor chlorine, it is a liquid phosphoric acid

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #22
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramitt
star san is not powder nor chlorine, it is a liquid phosphoric acid
My mistake turns out I use sani brew.
Still bleach is a sanitizer , pretty sure Palmer even recommends bleach .

Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #23
MisterShah
Recipes 

Before I brewed my new batch I sprayed everything down with Star San and let sit a good while. Then I sprayed again. And then one more time.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #24
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShah
Before I brewed my new batch I sprayed everything down with Star San and let sit a good while. Then I sprayed again. And then one more time.
That a boy , you can never sanitize too much.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #25
boist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzfest05 View Post
That a boy , you can never sanitize too much.
Then again, letting it sit is unnecessary. The beauty of Star San is that it sanitizes in 15 seconds. (Unlike some other sanitizers, like ammonia-based stuff, that can take up to 15 minutes) But Ozz is right, you can never over-sanitize. (Well, you can, if half of your 5 Gallon batch is Star San foam, you're probably over doing it. But you get the drift... )

My Beer and Brewing Blog:
http://threecatsbrewery.blogspot.com

Old 11-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #26
Lyghtnin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShah View Post
With my first batch, I fermented too hot in the first 24 hours. 79F inside fermenter with Safale S04. I have since made sure to keep my fermenting temps at bay with the swamp method. Once I cooled everything down, the change in temp sucked the ISOPROPYL ALCHOHOL through the airlock into the fermenter. (Yeah, I know) Using Star San solution in my airlock now.

Just wanting to clarify what you know about using Isopropyl Alcohol. This is not the same alcohol that we want to drink. That is ethyl alcohol. Isopropyl is POISON!!!! It takes just 15mL of isopropyl alcohol to be at poisonous levels. Luckily, this beer got ruined, as even if you dont ingest 15mL of the stuff, it is broken down into acetone by your liver. Acetone is another nasty solvent we may know as nail polish remover. Fun stuff to have floating around your bloodstream. In addition to ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL being POISON, it also evaporates so fast that you will likely run your airlock dry, increasing the chances of contamination when the wort stops becoming a closed system. Just wanted to share

Btw, i know that this is my first post, and that i am a relative newb, but i feel like a regular brewmaster with all of the great knowledge that people with passion are willing to share. Thanks everyone

Lyghtnin

Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #27
tallgirl
Recipes 

If you MUST lock with something other than water, I strongly encourage tequila. It seems to be the gloppiest of the high ETOH liquors on the market. I've filled airlocks with rum and vodka before and they didn't seem to "last" as well as using tequila.

As for the comment about 15ml of isopropynol being a poison, let's get real -- 15 ml out of 20,000 ml is just about nothing when consumed 335ml at a time -- its less than 1 part per thousand. Or put another way, he'd have to drink 3 335 ml bottles to get 1 ml of isopropynol.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:29 AM   #28
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

1. the powders are cleansers, not sanitizers
2. rags can cause infection. i hop you used a fairly clean rag and sanitized the hell out of it with a bleach solution.

Tap: Centennial IPA (SMASH)
Tap: Dogfish Head Ginger Saison
Bottle: Stone 11th Anniversary Black IPA clone
Secondary: Flemish Brown Sour Ale

Old 11-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #29
Lyghtnin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgirl View Post
As for the comment about 15ml of isopropynol being a poison, let's get real -- 15 ml out of 20,000 ml is just about nothing when consumed 335ml at a time -- its less than 1 part per thousand. Or put another way, he'd have to drink 3 335 ml bottles to get 1 ml of isopropynol.
Yes, you are right that the likelihood of the small amount of alcohol hoovered back through an airlock due to pressure/temperature differential would outright kill someone is small. Just because 15mL is the estimate for poisonous levels doesnt mean that less wont hurt you. However, anyone with a compromised liver (lots of people with liver issues still drink like fishes) that has to process the ethanol, the isopropanol, and potential other medications at once are at a high risk. Normal folks may have an anaphylactic reaction to having isopropanol acetone running through their veins. I for one would rather preserve my liver to let me destroy it the way i want to, not by using something that can kill you outright. Just stating that it is a really, really, really bad idea to get the stuff anywhere near your brew.

Lyghtnin

Old 11-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #30
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogphish
1. the powders are cleansers, not sanitizers
2. rags can cause infection. i hop you used a fairly clean rag and sanitized the hell out of it with a bleach solution.
Diversol or Sani brew is a pink chlorinated powder which is a sanitizer as well as a cleanser.

Quick Reply