AHS Blue Moon Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmathew

Reaction score
New to home brewing and the forums. Brewed my second batch today, the blue moon clone extract kit from AHS. Couple of questions:
- My OG was 1.056. Could not find reference to what it should be. Does this sound right?
- I have been reading the boards and most say secondary fermentation is not necessary, but AHS suggests it with all their kits. $40 is not the end of the world for another Carboy, but I am also not trying to complicate things for me this early on.

Any help would be appreciated.

SG is stated to be 1.053 (front page of instructions, bottom of page)

Of note.. mine was right at 1.053 when i brewed this a few months ago.. final was 1.010 (recipe spec is 1.012)

And second note.... It tastes nothing like blue Moon :)
And a final note: Skip the secondary ...it's not needed for this beer, you not adding dry hops, or adjuncts.

Let is sit in the fermenter for two plus weeks..( I went 4 weeks then started taking readings) and take a Hydrometer reading, wait 2 days, take another reading, wait 2 days take a third.. All the same and or at the specified FG.. Bottle or keg.

Thanks for the reply. Sure enough right in front of my face on the paper, the OG. I swear I looked 5 times. In any case, I probably will skip the secondary based on your recommendation and other threads I read.

Also, mine was 1.056 and the recipe calls for 1.053. Is mine acceptable? Why would it be higher?

Also, mine was 1.056 and the recipe calls for 1.053. Is mine acceptable? Why would it be higher?

Top off water not mixed well, not a full 5 gal volume, reading not temp corrected, bubbles stick to the hydrometer.. If yours was an all extract brew and you followed the directions, it's hard to miss OG

Temp corrected I am even higher. I topped to 5 1/4 gallons per the recipe. Agreed, could have stirred better. Tried to stir in the glass fermenter through the little hole. I am sure a bucket would have worked out better. Thanks for the pointers:). Trying to figure this all out.

The rickards white or blue moon is 5.1% and getting 1.050 ish brings it up to more than that. Is the taste affected? Can you feel the difference? OG should be around 1.048.

The rickards white or blue moon is 5.1% and getting 1.050 ish brings it up to more than that. Is the taste affected? Can you feel the difference? OG should be around 1.048.

1: The folks that made the recipe, say it should be a FG of 1.053.
2: Neither of the two people who brewed this recipe , discussing it in this thread had a FG of 1.050
3: The Mini mash AHBS recipe brewed here, with a recipe specified FG of 1.053, that came out at 1.053 has good flavor, no alcohol heat or mouth feel.:mug:

Planning on making this one. Good to know

I've only brewed it once.. so take it for what it is... but my results tasted nothing like commercial Blue Moon.

Those that are drinking it, like it, and ask for a few more bottles every week.... tell me that is a good thing as they don't really like Blue Moon.

I really like this beer since it is my favourite commercial one. I guess I should try making a clone myself and not buying a kit online then! I'll get pretty close with bitter orange and coriander. Maybe adding citra/cascade or even centennial.

I really like this beer since it is my favourite commercial one. I guess I should try making a clone myself and not buying a kit online then! I'll get pretty close with bitter orange and coriander. Maybe adding citra/cascade or even centennial.

Or start with The ABHS clone and then adjust as you see fit.

I'll be brewing this one again, just because the more I brew, the more I refine my process, and things do change.. While good beer, it was not a great clone..in the manner with which I brewed it.

A second or third brewing with a different / refined process, different water, may produce different (closer to clone like) results.
Heck... Im convinced... Off to Austin I go.. I'll brew my Texas dark Ale Sunday as planned and a Mini Mash batch of ABHS Blue Moon clone on Monday.:D

Thats a big weekend you got there! I have 7 batches of grain yeast hops etc. coming on thursday but have 3 exams next weekend. Damnit! Just a big teaser

Again, a newbie here, but I only boiled 3 total gallons of water per the recipe. Should I boil the full amount or top off the fermenter at the end to get the full 5 gallons.

Boiling is always safer if thats what you are asking. My first few batches I did not boil the top up water. They turned out just fine. But I do it now

Back