Adjusted Mash Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
My mash tun pot koozie usually dropped about 5-6* before it was done. If my temp starts a bit higher such as 157* but then drops to 151* does than mean my end result is no different than had I used a good mash tun and kept the temp at ~152* the whole time? Or does it give me a combination of shorter and longer chain sugars?

I saved a piece of styrofoam and cut it out to the shape of my pot lid and found that it held the temp quite well, and so mid way when I check I had to add a bit of cool water to get it down closer to what I was intending. Seeing that it was held around 157* for 35 mins but finished the last 35 mins at about 152* what am I looking at having created?

Did the cooler temp break those longer chain sugars into shorter ones with the cooler temp?

From my limited knowledge the higher initial mash temp can denature the beta amylase protein which is responsible for converting short chain fermentables from the grist.
Even though I doubt it would do so entirely it is less than ideal.
Personally I would try better insulating the mash tun, I wrap my mash in a duvet which is folded in half for a double layer, which holds the temp within 2-3F.
If this doesn't work for you, I would apply extra heat to the mash, either directly with a flame or by adding boiling water (using a similar calculator to this

After all of that I don't think you actually have anything to worry about. You will have made beer, probably with extra body and slightly sweet, which is desirable for some styles.

Here is a diagram which cleared up mash temps for me, hope this all helps and is correct :)

enzyme_activity_one_hour_mash.jpg

I added a piece of styrofoam to my lid which made all the difference. I wasn't expecting that, and so my initial mash temps were higher as it's a bit colder too. I know for next time though!

But this is basically what I've been doing for quite some time now (starting a bit high so as to end ~150-152* or so).

I'll need to reread How To Brew again. I do this every so often as my understanding increases. A lot is still beyond me. But this s one cool diagram. Maybe seeing this in conjunction to rereading it will make something else more clear.

With todays malts, most of your conversion is going to happen in the first 15-20 minutes of the mash. I would think your initial temp would have much more of an effect over the final product vs the average over the entire mash. Although I would strive to trying to maintain as constant as a temp as possible so further insulating your mash tun would be the first thing I would advise.

There was a pretty in-depth homebrew mash experiment that covers all kinds of mash factors done by Braukaiser that might be worth reading, might give you some insight into your particular issue. http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/inde...ity_and_efficiency_in_single_infusion_mashing

So once a conversion has taken place it is locked into that form?

I kept some styrofoam and cut a piece to fit the lid of my mash tun pot (~1/4" thick). I didn't realize that it would make all the difference. I heated my strike water a little higher than I usually would as I expected to lose heat somewhat quick especially now that it's winter.

Seeing that it held quite well I'll know not to do that on Wednesday when I make my next batch.

Thanks for the link!

Back