The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding water to the secondary...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
ElevatorAssassin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding water to the secondary...

Could this potentially harm the beer in any way? My batch is a bit short of five gallons (about 4 1/2), but I gather that if I add some water the gravity will fall to the target specified in the recipe and make it a bit lighter.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevatorAssassin View Post
Could this potentially harm the beer in any way? My batch is a bit short of five gallons (about 4 1/2), but I gather that if I add some water the gravity will fall to the target specified in the recipe and make it a bit lighter.

Thoughts?
If you boil the water (and cool it) first, then probably you wouldn't have any harm. I guess I'd suggest tasting the beer first, and seeing how it is. If you want to water it down, then go ahead. I wouldn't, because then the beer might be "thin" and watery. I'd check the SG now and see if it's done. If it's not at FG, then wait until it is before deciding.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If you overshot the OG and undershot the volume you probably should. If you bottle you could add it with the primming solution.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
ElevatorAssassin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
If you boil the water (and cool it) first, then probably you wouldn't have any harm. I guess I'd suggest tasting the beer first, and seeing how it is. If you want to water it down, then go ahead. I wouldn't, because then the beer might be "thin" and watery. I'd check the SG now and see if it's done. If it's not at FG, then wait until it is before deciding.
I checked the gravity the other day, it's at two weeks and still a couple points above the target.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
ElevatorAssassin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
If you overshot the OG and undershot the volume you probably should. If you bottle you could add it with the primming solution.
Hmm.. that's a pretty good idea, i'll just boil about a half gallon (or less) with the priming sugar. Thanks!

Quick Reply