Adding too much fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy35

Reaction score
I've decided to experiment a little because my wife is on me to make a fruit beer.

I split a 5 gallon batch of wheat beer into 2 2.5 gallon samples.

I have a Blueberry Wheat and a "Tropical" Wheat (strawberry, mango, peach) going.

My largest concern is I may have added too much blueberry, if that is possible. I added about 2.9 lbs of blueberry for a 2.5 gallon batch. Fermentation is taking off like crazy in the secondary. Did I just overwhelm my beer?

It is verrrrrry blue but looks good.

Woo - sounds good. I definitely don't want it to be like grape juice.

I put 6 pounds of blueberries in 5 gallons. I had mashed the blueberries to get all the flavor out that I could. I ended up with a purple beer that had so little blueberry flavor that I have quit trying fruit beers. Best of luck to your attempt.

I used blueberry purée added 1 large can from ahs and it isn't turn out very good, doesn't feel like beer and the blueberry taste isn't there and dark and cloudy.....I would add a little of the blueberry flavoring as well

Blueberries have a pretty delicate flavor that is easily lost in beer. 1 pound per gallon is about the minimum. In Radical Brewing, Mosher recommends 1-3 pounds per gallon for blueberries, so 2.9 pounds in 2.5 gallons would definitely not be too much.

Back