About to start my first noobathon, one question though...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got a brewsmarter equipment kit which came with a can of "Cooper's Canadian blonde". The instructions say use 1kg of brew enhancer 1, I don't have 1kg of brew enhancer. I do have 1kg of dextrose however, which came in the pack. The question is, do I put the whole 1kg in?
Thanks

A can of extract and a kg of dextrose?? Mmmm....
Sorry for the sarcasm but you could brew something much tastier without any increased difficulty. Unless of course you like thin flavorless yellow fizz...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The kilo of dextrose included in the kit was probably meant to be used in in the beer in lieu of BE1 . I think the older kits just provided the sugar. Were nicknamed "Kit and Kilo".

BE 1 also contains maltodextrin along with the dextrose. One kilo of dextrose will thin the body of the beer, as compared to without the maltodextrin, and bump up the ABV a bit more. Is this for a 23 liter batch of beer? To increase the body of the beer you could brew it as a 19 liter batch. ABV would be bumped a bit more this way.

If you have some DME you could add 500 kilograms and only use 500 kilograms of the dextrose. Would also need 11 grams of yeast for the added fermentables.

From the Coopers FAQ.
"Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 contains Dextrose and Maltodextrin while Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 contains Dextrose, Light Dry Malt and Maltodextrin. They are intended to be used instead of white sugar or dextrose."

I'm just using the stuff they sent for the first one, more to get used to the kit etc. Taste is a secondary concern, as long as it's at least semi drinkable. I'll be studying recipes and techniques for the next one

A can of extract and a kg of dextrose?? Mmmm....
Sorry for the sarcasm but you could brew something much tastier without any increased difficulty. Unless of course you like thin flavorless yellow fizz...

What makes you assume this kit will produce thin flavorless yellow fizz? Surely he could do better with a different kit and some steeping grains, but I wouldn't smash him for his first attempt!

If you get everything right, they come out pretty decent. When you taste it, you'll know what you want to do next time to improve it. That's how I started this beer trek...:tank:

I didn't mean to smash anyone. I just don't understand why a company would put together such a kit. There's no reason not to make a tasty beer your first time out, it's no harder than this "kit". I believe in setting first time brewers up for a "wow! I made this??!!" Rather than an "oh hum at least it's drinkable". Call me crazy...

It's bubbling away nicely although the temp had gone up about 28-29. I'm sure it'll be delicious though

It's bubbling away nicely although the temp had gone up about 28-29. I'm sure it'll be delicious though

Your wort temp is to high. This high temp may produce a beer with fusel alcohol that you will not drink. Set the fermentor in a tub of cool water. Bring the temp down to at least 21°C.

I had a heat belt on it, it was about 25 yesterday, not sure what happened. Heat belt's off now. Honestly not too fussed how this turns out, all about the learning. This forum's being invaluable, thank you all

Latest posts

Back