About to deploy need a brew that can sit till i get back.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckabrewski

Reaction score
Ok heres the deal. Im getting ready to deploy and i would like to brew something up to enjoy when i return. Im leaving in 1 or 2 months and ill be gone for 6. Ideally I would like to have it bottled up before i leave so when i return i can sit back relax and crack one open. Im not very picky so im open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Just my experience, but any extract/extract w/ specialty grain beer will be ready to bottle in about 3 weeks. Ales. Not sure you'd want to rush a lager that quick (if it's 1 and not 2 months). Also stay away from anything where you wouldn't need to rack to secondary (dry hopping or fruit additions).

Brew a Belgian beer of some kind. The stronger the better. It'll need to sit for about 6 months anyway.

If you're here for a month or longer, you can do a full three weeks in primary and have the bottle conditioning be done while you are gone. You can do almost anything except imperial I would think. I second the belgian though, bottle it right before you leave, come home to amazing brew. Good Luck on your deployment.

Brew a Belgian beer of some kind. The stronger the better. It'll need to sit for about 6 months anyway.

+1

Sometimes it is hard to let the beer age more than a couple of months. Since you will be gone 6months, it will not be a problem for you!
The belgian grand cru from AHS is great. Since you will be gone a while, and probably come back thirsty, I would even brew more than one recipe.

+1

Sometimes it is hard to let the beer age more than a couple of months. Since you will be gone 6months, it will not be a problem for you!
The belgian grand cru from AHS is great. Since you will be gone a while, and probably come back thirsty, I would even brew more than one recipe.

I was thinking the same thing!! Brew a double or triple batch and throw a huge party when you get back.

Stay safe!

What a great idea. Wish I were brewing when I was in. Something to look forward to on a homecoming. Be Safe.

You could also do a mead if you want, and it should be ready to bottle once you get back. or, like three weeks before you get back, guilt trip a buddy into going over to your place and bottling it, and it should be nice a carbed and you'll have some delicious celebratory bubbly when you get home.

Be safe, good sir. Where in the world are you getting deployed to?

NWMOBrewer said:
If you're here for a month or longer, you can do a full three weeks in primary and have the bottle conditioning be done while you are gone. You can do almost anything except imperial I would think. I second the belgian though, bottle it right before you leave, come home to amazing brew. Good Luck on your deployment.

So I decided on doing the grand cru kit from mwb do you recommend I let it bottle condition at around 70 deg for the full 6 months or have my wife toss it in the fridge around 5 months

So I decided on doing the grand cru kit from mwb do you recommend I let it bottle condition at around 70 deg for the full 6 months or have my wife toss it in the fridge around 5 months

I would time it up so that you have finished cold beer when you get home. And do make sure that you come home! :mug:

The more time at room temperature, the better. Cold conditioning for 2 or 3 weeks, just before you come back, would be a good thing too, for clarity (even though it will probably be crystal clear after 5 months in bottle), and for carbonation. You want the CO2 to be in solution, and stay in solution when you open the bottle. The couple of weeks in the fridge will help achieve this.

mrgstiffler said:
I would time it up so that you have finished cold beer when you get home. And do make sure that you come home! :mug:

Awesome i appreciate all the help i have got on this fourm

mperceau said:
The more time at room temperature, the better. Cold conditioning for 2 or 3 weeks, just before you come back, would be a good thing too, for clarity (even though it will probably be crystal clear after 5 months in bottle), and for carbonation. You want the CO2 to be in solution, and stay in solution when you open the bottle. The couple of weeks in the fridge will help achieve this.

Will do... Thanks again. Ill let everyone know how it is when i return.

i would go with o'fest you could leave and just let it lager while your gone. im actually lager one for six months.

Not back yet I'm about a week out. I need to make sure SWMBO has at least a case on ice for me lol.

:mug: That beer has got to be calling you by now. Its going to have separation anxiety so just keep that in mind you are going to have to spend ALOT of time with it as soon as you get back help calm it down some.

Thanks for your service! If you are ever up north I have a brew for you.

i just made last week but going to lager it till the end of sept. then bottle it and take a case of it up to ohio for my dads birthday.

My next batch will be a Belgian Blonde Ale. Would this length of time be necessary for Blonde's too? Also, the recipe suggested that I use a strainer. In anybodies experience, do you think it would be necessary to use a strainer?

Thanks for all the inputs. They are going down way to smooth. I'm almost through a 6er already I should probably slow down.

image-2800379340.jpg

Latest posts

Back