2nd all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puttnbrew

Reaction score
Hi, Had a problem, worm chiller sprung leak and shot one half to one gallon of well water into my wort while chilling. Will this ruin my beer. Making a Golsch. Also wanting to add orange flavors to the wort in a secondary fermintation. Can anyone give me their advise?

your gravity will be lower so your beer might not be as flavorful as you may have wanted. Was it a five gallon batch? I don't think you'll ruin your beer. The yeast should eat away any unwanted bacteria during initial fermentation.

There's a few different ways to add orange flavor to your beer. You can add in some zest in the last 10 minutes or so of the boil, you can add rinds to the secondary and age, or you can soak the rinds in vodka for a while and add that to your secondary. There's lots of information on here about adding orange to beer if you use the search bar you're bound to find something.

was the wort already chilled or still pretty hot? If it was almost done chilling I would be worried about the water having the potential for bacteria. Not sure yeast would kill all the nasties. Let us know how it turns out.

If you think you diluted your beer 1 gallon, you could boil and chill some DME and add it. Others will prob disagree, just a thought.

Back