2 Quick Questions (Bubbles and Fog)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug

Reaction score
Brew 5, questions 100 and 101:

My friend and I just did a Happy Holiday Ale from Midwest Supplies. It went well, and it smells pretty good. It's been bubbling away for about 5 days now, but it's pretty much done now. However, it's still got quite the krausen bubbly top thing going on. This normally falls back by now, based on my last 4 brews. Is it a problem that it's still around? Can anything be discerned from the bubbly show the krausen puts on?

Second question: I've got one length of tube I keep using and sanitizing and drying and using again. It now has a permanent fog to the inside of it, even when I run water through it. What's the deal with that? Is this normal?

Thanks again, forum.

- Doug

Answer to 100: You're sure to read many comments on this one. Some will insist you wait for the kreusen to fall, other may disagree. I had a full kreusen head for over a week once. I racked when after fell. Then I left it in the carboy for another 2 months. I don't know why it stayed there for so long either.

Answer to 101: You can buy a small nylon brush the you can pull through the tube to remove the film, or buy a new one.

Thanks for the advice. It's been 6 days now and it's still there. I'll wait it out for the rest of the weekend.

- doug

Just a quick update on this beer... the head did eventually _mostly_ fall, so I racked to the secondary after two weeks. It was still for a day or two, but then the temp dropped a couple degrees in my basement, and now I've got another foamy top, and bubbles every 10 seconds!!

I think I am happy about this, because my gravity was 1.035 or so at the racking, and I want it to finish down closer to 1.015. I'm just a little confused... I've never seen anything like that before.

- doug

how'd it come out? I just got the same kit today and am going to start tonight. Any tips?

~Brian

Ah... I see this kit comes with White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale yeast. Nice!

I haven't used that particuar strain in awhile. I'm just guessing here, but maybe that has something to do with the longer fermentation time. :confused: According to the White Labs website, it has a pretty good attenuation rate (69-75) and the recommended fermentation temp is 68-73oF.

Have no fear, mine has been bubbling away for 11 days now... I'll probably rack it after 2 weeks as well. How did it come out?

~brian

Latest posts

Back