1st Recipe Question - When to add extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balzern

Reaction score
Hey I am going to be brewing a Porter with 7 lbs of light DME and a Dunkelweizen with 6 lbs of wheat LME. When should I add these to the respective beers? Also, what would the fermentation schedule look like for both of these? The porter's OG 1.054 FG about 1.057 and the Dunkelweizen is 1.055 FG about 1.014.

Thanks!:rockin:

The addition of the extract heavily depends on your ability to do full boils or not. Since hop utilization depends on the boil OG, if you do partial boils the boil OG will be higher than intended and will result in less IBUs. Additionally, the fermentation schedules will depend on temperature of the fermenter location as well as yeast types being used.

Bottom line, we need more information.

I do near full volume boils, and I boil the entire amount of extract at the start of the boil. The exception for me is when I brew a style I want as light in color as possible. Then I boil half the extract at the start and the rest towards the end to minimize wort darkening from carmelization.

It has been suggested from many sources to add half your extract late if you boil small volumes to insure proper hop utilization - as the previous poster stated.

Fermentaion schedules are not cast in stone. Rather, they are generalized. For example, Wheat beers often finish quicker and are ready to drink sooner than other styles. Only your hydrometer knows for sure.....

Pez.

Assuming you do 5 gallon batches:

7 lbs of DME will give you a gravity of 1.063, and that's before you add the sugars from any specialty grains.

6 lbs of LME will give you a gravity of 1.043.

Not sure where you got your numbers from, but you need to check them.

Fermentation time and attenuation will depend on the recipe, yeast selection, aeration, fermentation temperature, etc. Assuming you do everything right, pitch yeast, put the fermenter away in a place at the right temperature and don't touch it for 3 weeks minimum.

I entered the numbers in Hopville's beer calculus. I ferment between 63-70 degrees. The porter I was going to use Wyeast London 1968 and for the Dunkelweizen Wyeast 3068. I was going to do a 5 gallon full boil.

I just made a tasty Bitter with the Wyeasy 1968 turned out to be quite the session beer lasted less than a week in the keg..lol MMMMM My OG was 1.051 and i got it to 1.012 in 7 days with the primary around 69 degrees with no starter.. next time i will do a starter..

I entered the numbers in Hopville's beer calculus. I ferment between 63-70 degrees. The porter I was going to use Wyeast London 1968 and for the Dunkelweizen Wyeast 3068. I was going to do a 5 gallon full boil.

If you're doing a full-volume boil, you can add all the extract at the beginning of the boil.

I ferment between 63-70 degrees. The porter I was going to use Wyeast London 1968 and for the Dunkelweizen Wyeast 3068.

Both should ferment out fairly quickly, especially at the top of your temperature range. You're probably looking at 1-2 weeks for full fermentation to be complete. Just remember to verify with your hydrometer.

... just keep in mind that you are breaking the extract twice when you re-boil it. Its already been extracted once.

Latest posts

Back