The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st brewed tasted- it's good!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Default 1st brewed tasted- it's good!

I just cracked open my first ever, a English Brown Ale. It's only been bottled since Friday, but my husband was dying to try it and we opened one. It's very good! I prefer a hoppy brew, but my husband likes milder ones and this one is right up his alley. I'm thinking it's only going to get better. I guessed that the beers costs about 60 cents each to make, not including equipment costs. Now, I want to start washing yeasts and maybe try a lager in the future. This hobby is addicting!

Lorena

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2006, 12:16 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Congrats on the first brew. It will get even more addicting as you continue to brew and get more experienced. You might just convert him into a hophead.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 06-28-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
Fatabbot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you think it's good now, just wait a few weeks

I know it's hard to wait sometimes, but even on the most simple of brews, a few weeks makes a huge difference (especially on a beer similar to a brown ale).

Old 06-28-2006, 01:21 AM   #4
Flucky07
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenae
I just cracked open my first ever, a English Brown Ale. It's only been bottled since Friday, but my husband was dying to try it and we opened one. It's very good! I prefer a hoppy brew, but my husband likes milder ones and this one is right up his alley. I'm thinking it's only going to get better. I guessed that the beers costs about 60 cents each to make, not including equipment costs. Now, I want to start washing yeasts and maybe try a lager in the future. This hobby is addicting!

Lorena
Whats the ingrediance. Im so psyched to try some of my OWN beer. Its been in bottles since saturday and im dying to crack one...
I would appreciate a recipe as well...
Anyway congrats you are a brewer!

Eric

On-deck:
Primary #1: Austrailian Shiraz
Primary #2: Apfelwein 1056 Yeast
Secondary #1: Apfelwein Champ Yeast
Secondary #2: None
Bottled/Conditioning: Fluckers lite beer(07/01/06), Fluckers Pumpkin Spice Deal (07/8/06), Fluckers Whoregaarden (06/17/06), Fluckers Badd Azz Lite
On Tap:

Old 06-28-2006, 03:14 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Default The recipe

It was a kit by Brewer's Best, simple and quick.

3.3 lbs plain amber malt extract (liquid)
2 lbs plain amber DME
8 oz Crystal Malt 60L
1 oz Willamette Hops (bittering)
.5 oz Willamette Hops (finishing)
Beer Yeast (I already forgot what kind, and didn't write it down! I think it was probably Nottingham Dry yeast, )

Steeped crystal malt in a grain bag for 20 minutes. Did a 60 minute boil. Finishing hops were in for the last 5 minutes. It spent a week in the primary and 10 days in the secondary. Nice and clear, and bottled with priming sugar.

I had a few incidences during my first brewing and was on this board with (stupid) questions over them. But.... I made BEER!

We drank that one tonight, and then we had to have something else. I had Molson in the fridge- what a difference! The Molson was pale and flavorless by comparison. I think I'm officially becoming a beer snob!

Old 06-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Sephro
Recipes 

Washing your own yeast is easy! just remember that sanitization counts a lot more of you plan to store it!
Congrats! Now is when the real fun can begin. Now you know how good you can make beer... you can start to try other kinds...

Kegged - Munich ale
Secondary - Rye IPA
Aging – Mead

Quick Reply