10 gallon igloo too big for small batch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon igloo that I use for my 5 gallon batches, but I decided to try some smaller 2.5 gallon batches to experiment with.

Is my 10 gallon igloo too big for this purpose?
Same with my keggle?

You could try BIAB, That's what I do for my 1g test batches. My igloo doesn't hold heat very well with smaller amounts of water/grain.

Yep. That's what I did with my last 2.5 gallon batch. If you're worried about temps (and your post is small enough), turn the oven on to "warm" as you start your brew. After you've doughed in and stirred the grains, shut the oven off and put the kettle in. The residual heat in the oven should hold the mash temp for the full hour.

Another solution is getting a smaller cooler like a 5 gallon for 2.5 gallon batches or smaller.

Thanks, I already started the boil with my keggle. I think I'll do biab next time.

The one thing I thought of just now is that I might not have enough liquid to start the siphon with the dip tube, any suggestions on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have used my 10 gallon for 5 gallon batches (though now I use a 5 gallon MLT). What I would do was lay a plastic bucket lid on top of the mash. This would not really make up for the large empty headspace, but it did seem to slow some of the heat loss. You can try and if it doesn't work your out 2.5 gallons.

I can't believe I didn't think of tipping it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back