1.088 SG from what was supposed to be 1.060

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
So i made a batch of beer the other week. i ran out fermenters so i had to use a plastic carboy.

starting gravity was 1.080 which was .020 higher than what the beer was intended. i believe this is because the regular fermenters i have are 7 gallons which give a little more for room for me to add water to hit the target SG mark.

Now that a bucket fermenter is freed up, i was thinking about transferring it into there and adding about a gallon of water to it just to bring the FG down, even though its been fermenting for about a week.

is there any harm in this? i just didnt want the beer to be overwhelmed in alcohol so the beer can retain some of the good taste.

I think that's a bad idea. My estimation is that you'll end up with watery beer at the best, or oxidized/infected beer at the worst. I would say stick with what you've made. Let it age in bottles/keg longer than normal and you should be okay.

x2 Do not add water at this point, the beer will be thin and watery. You just made an Imperial on accident. Cheers!

If you topped off with water was the wort mixed with the water properly. If it is not you could have parts that will read higher than others. I don't know your process just speculating at this point.

the water was mixed with the wort 110%. i was restricted with the 5 gallons in the carboy so i couldnt add more water to bring it around 1.060 otherwise the carboy would overflow.

i dont doubt anyones suggestions and expertise, but its not like im adding in LME or anything. i guess i just find it hard to believe that adding a little bit of water (less than a gallon) would have such an impact on anything.

Noob question here....

Would it hurt in this situation to pitch another vial of yeast?

the water was mixed with the wort 110%. i was restricted with the 5 gallons in the carboy so i couldnt add more water to bring it around 1.060 otherwise the carboy would overflow.

i dont doubt anyones suggestions and expertise, but its not like im adding in LME or anything. i guess i just find it hard to believe that adding a little bit of water (less than a gallon) would have such an impact on anything.

But the kit is for 5 gallons, and you got 5 gallons in your fermenter. So you should have wort at 1.062 unless you added more extract. If it is indeed 1.080 and well mixed you would have only about 3.8 gallons of beer (is your plastic carboy actuall only 5 gallons total volume to overflowing?)
If you do want to adjust this I would boil and cool the top off water to remove as much oxygen as possible, then gently syphon that into the bucket, then gently syphon the beer on top.

the kit is for 5 gallons yes, but only 4 gallons fit inside the carboy. once i transferred it to a 7 gallon bucket it shows at 4gallons on the level mark.

As I indicated in my previous post, I would guess that the outcome would not be as you desired, which doesn't mean that it won't work out okay for you. I have not done what you suggest so can't give any first hand experience. If you end up doing this I would surely appreciate feedback on how it worked out - the final product that is.

I think of it as a bad idea from the standpoint of mouthfeel and flavor. Some mouthfeel is created from the yeast interaction during fermentation, and adding water at this point will water down that mouthfeel. Additionally, a flavor profile is created from the same yeast interaction which may again be thinned out to result in a less flavorful product. I can't say with any certainty that these "aspects" would be less or equal to what it would have been had you started with the correct amount of water to begin with, but I would venture a guess that it will be different (better or worse, I don't know). There are a multitude of other factors that play into the final beer you create that could/will be affected by the addition of water after fermentation.

BUT, when it comes down to it, I guess no one can have a certain description of it's impact unless we experiment. With this in mind, I think if you're willing to be a guinea pig then by all means - just make it count. Perhaps bottle a portion of the batch as it is (1 gallon maybe), and then water down the remainder with the correct proportion of water and bottle. In 4-8 weeks give us a report on how they compare (if you don't mind) because I would be interested in the outcome whether it be good or bad.

My biggest concerns, as I mentioned previously, are infection from the water and oxidizing the beer. I think you could avoid both of these possibilities by using well boiled water (cooled afterwards, of course). The boiling should kill any nasties in the water and remove oxygen at the same time. I would start with 1.5x the water you think you need and boil for 20 minutes - the long boil time is to give a chance for most of the oxygen to escape and the extra amount is for evaporation. The last point I would pay attention to is how you introduce the boiled water, keep the splashing to an extreme minimum (again, trying to avoid oxidizing the beer).

If you end up doing this I'm very interested in your results. Keep us posted - if you will.

Back