wildwest450's Centennial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was part of the 999 swap, but I thought I'd create a thread here. If he posts the recipe, I'll attach my comments here.

I'll preface by saying that I have also made a Centennial (and some Columbus) based IPA and I found wildwest450 to be superior to the one that I made. I'll have to go back and look to see how it was scored for comparison. I noted a color difference in that mine was less coppery so I'm not sure if this was more in-tune with a Stone type IPA or like mine a Bells variety (both feature Cent).

Aroma
Hit me as soon as I opened the bottle. Lemony citrus in charge. Hard to pick up any optional maltyness or fruityness so I'm a assuming that a Neutral American Yeast was used or that quality was not expressed. Aroma is to style.

Appearance
Reddish copper. Clear but not brilliant perhaps attributable to my greedy pour (yeast) or dry hop residue. Amazing head. To style.

Flavor
Resinous lemony and intense hop character. Light malt sweetness. Clean tasting. Not over the top. very enjoyable. One of my weaknesses as an aspiring BJCP judge on IPAs is that I can appreciate an over the top IPA, but I find a more balanced one preferable. No Flaws.

Mouth Feel
Medium Body. Powdery feel in the aftertaste perhaps attributable to dry hopping. Did you use pellet?

Overall Impressions
Without getting into every scoring aspect, I'd place this beer in the 35+ range. Nice work! I'd love to see the grain bill and note any differences from the one that I did (very basic 2-row and crystal 40).

It was pellet dry hopped. Grains were just 2 row a small amount of munich and crystal 60 and 05 for the yeast. I'm glad you enjoyed it!:mug:

Latest posts

Back