March Swap ~ quickerNu's Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickerNu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, looks like I forgot to put an ingredients list in every package I sent, so I will post it here. Everyone should get at least 44 oz of my Double Chocolate stout, then 44+ oz of either my American Wheat ( w on cap) or Texas Red ( x on cap)

Double Chocolate Stout (hand printed "C" on cap) Made from an AHS Mini-Mash Kit. Ingredients include:

2 1/2 lb Maris Otter Pale Malt
3/4 lb Chocolate
1/4 lb Crystal 40L
1/8 lb Black Patent
1/8 lb Roasted Barley

5 lb dark LME
1/2 lb Malto Dextrin
1 oz Galena bittering @ boil
1 oz unsweeted cocoa @55 min

used white labs 013 London Ale. OG 1.055 FG1.018 target was 1.012 Made 12/30, bottled 2/3

Beer #2 American Wheat ( "W" on cap)
AHS Mini mash brewed 1/12
OG 1.052
FG 1.011
1 3/4 white wheat
1 1/4 2 row
1/4 crystal 20L

4 1/2 wheat LME
WL 320 American Hefe gen#3
Hops- not sure, gonna have to find the original sheet, due to the shortage, AHS hs changed the recipe

My brew log was victim of a vicious attack by my twin toddlers. The instruction sheet on this brew is still MIA.

Brew #3 Texas Red ( "x" on cap) brewed 12/16
AHS Mini-mash kit

OG 1.050
FG 1.012

2 1/2 2-row
1/2 crystal 90L
1 Lb Special B
1/4 White Wheat

5 LBS Extra Pale LME
2oz Crystal @boil
1/2 Crystal @ 45min
1/2 Crystal @ 55min

WL 007 Dry English Ale yeast

guess Clemson55 got the texas red- hoppiest beer i've ever done. You didnt happen to come down to aggieland when we played clemson a few years ago did ya?

American Wheat

Aroma - Malty. Slight sweetness and underlying fruity ester. The aroma doesn’t give away the yeast. (Is it AMerican? Is it German?)Inviting.

Appearance – Hazy tan. Rich, full color. Good thick head on pour and nice retention. Typical cloudiness of a wheat beer. Enough wheat haze that I can’t pick up on effervescence. Nice lacing.

Flavor – Crisp. Clean. Well balanced bitterness against the wheat malt. Dryer than I would have though given the aroma and appearance. No Diacetyl. No DMS. Very drinkable if just a bit on the bitter side. No noticeable hop aroma (normal for style). No apparent flaws in the beer. Slight dryness in the aftertaste but not to the point of astringent. No extract twang at all. A very good tasting, enjoyable beer.

Mouthfeel – Crisp. Great head retention. Nice and dry, but still a satisfying mouthfeel. Creamy head. Again, mouthfeel is dryer than I expected based on how the beer looks.

Overall Impression – Very nice. Enjoyable. The smooth, clean flavor belies the strength of the beer (nice buzz factor). A very suitable wheat that could be served to a wide audience. I’m glad I have a few more of these to enjoy.

Glad you enjoyed it. Exactly what I was going for with this beer. Do you do a lot of beer judging? Your comments sparked my memory since my notes on that beer disappeared. The dry finish and extra kick could be from the AHS 1% alcohol boost. Think I added it to that brew. Jeez, I hope I find my notes......

Double Chocolate Stout

Aroma – Rich and roasty, but not a burnt roast. A slight chocolate undertone that is inviting, but not overpowering. If I hadn’t read the ingredients, I might not have picked up on it…or confused it with the chocolate malt.

Appearance – Beautiful pour. The sound of this pour was awesome too. A nice rich chugalug as the glass filled. The carbonation was sufficient enough to create a deep cascading effect as the beer settled. A rich frothy head that was thick. The head stuck around long enough to be my last gulp.

Flavor – A very nice balance of malt sweetness, balanced by the combination of the bitter cocoa and the hops. A nice roasty flavor. Very rich taste, but not heavy. No ill aftertaste aside from a hint of metallic. Due perhaps to the cocoa. Very enjoyable taste.

Mouthfeel – Crisp and chewy. Great head retention. The carbonation might have been a bit high for the style, but not a detriment. Carbonation actually lent well to the presentation as the beer cascaded. No bad aftertaste. No astringency. Great overall palette experience.

Overall Impression – A very good drinkable stout. I’ve had chocolate stouts that were chocolate first…stout second. This was not. The chocolate lent a nice dimension to the beer. Rich but well balanced, this could easily pass as a local micro draught.

quickerNu said:
guess Clemson55 got the texas red- hoppiest beer i've ever done. You didnt happen to come down to aggieland when we played clemson a few years ago did ya?

No sir I didnt but I was here when we beat you the following yr, have only missed like 1 home game in 7 years damn weddings. Got the beers today I look forward to the Texas Red I love Hoppy beers.

I blatantly stole Biermuncher's review format. I personally think that it is so well laid out that we should adopt it as the general format when critiquing. Just a thought.

Aroma - Strong wheat aroma. Makes me feel like I am in a wheat field. I haven't had a wheat beer in some time so the wheat aroma threw me at first. Am I sensing a slight lemon scent?

Appearance – Very cloudy with a thick haze. Almost hypnotic when held up to the light. Almost looks creamy. Very full head on the pour that disappeared quickly. I kinda wanted the head to stick around a bit longer.

Flavor – Very neutral and well balanced. Nothing really stands out in this one. It is a classic example of a basic wheat beer, easy drinking and very smooth. I taste a mild tart flavor which I like. Dry clean finish.

Mouthfeel – Dry. Much drier than I would think for a wheat. I expected more body in this style of beer. Very clean finish.

Overall Impression – This is the first wheat beer I have ever tasted that was "dry". After the initial surprise I ended up liking that. I would love this on a summer's day. Also the fact that it is so balanced makes it appealing. Well Done. I hope you find the recipe so I can see what went into this one.

Drinking the Texas Red right now. Its a good beer, I wouldnt say its anything amazing, but its a beer I would sit down and drink a couple of on a night and relax. Aroma was good, flavor seemed a little low compared with the aroma I got from the beer. I'll probably crack open the second one in just a few minutes to finish off the night. Good solid all around beer in any way you want to judge it.

Appearance: Completely opaque with a thick and creamy roast color head. Yup, looks just like a stout.

Aroma: Heavy roast scent. If I swirl the glass I pick up a little chocolate.

Flavor: This beer is almost creamy. Tons of mouthfeel. Carbonation is light on this beer. I had to let this sit a while to warm up. After I did that the creaminess was even better. The flavors were much more pronounced as well. Malty roast with a light chocolate finish. I LOVE this beer.

I am a novice when it comes to judging beers but I know what I like. This beer really shines. Creamy, chocolaty, and rich while not overpowering.

Thanks guys, really appreciating the feedback. I don't think I will be brewing the Texas Red again, I wasn't too happy with it. The DC stout has a little tweaking left to do, and I am planning on brewing a bunch more American Wheat for the summer.

Latest posts

Back